[EURO-Discuss] Lisbon Follow Up

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sat Mar 31 09:25:44 EDT 2007

Wolfgang Kleinwächter ha scritto:
> Dear list,
>
> back home here are some conclusions, comments and proposals for
> further actions and next steps:
>
> 1. Regardless of the controversial discussion and the heated debate
> the outcome of the Lisbon meeting is a good step forward and we
> should build on this

I agree, and let me say that I really appreciated the way that all of
us, and specifically those who were most attached to the issues of
incorporation and individual membership such as you and Christoph,
worked together to reach an acceptable compromise.

For the process you propose, I would like to stick to the process we
agreed - if I remember well you were not in the meeting on Tuesday
morning, so I am reattaching the document that was approved. There is
not much difference, except that the idea is to first elect the Board
and ALAC reps (so that I can finally leave my seat...), then let the
EURALO Board instruct the discussion. Of course the EURALO Board could
then delegate a working group - in any case I think that you necessarily
have to be in this discussion (you'd be a good EURALO Board member
anyway, and I think that the people who were most active in the
discussions up to here are natural candidates for a strong initial
EURALO Board, that can ensure a good continuation of the process).

So I'd build on the timeline we agreed, and if we can have a EURALO
Board elected by May 10 - and maybe work in parallel to develop a
proposal on the open issues - we could still try to have a virtual GA at
mid June, just before Puerto Rico. It really depends on how hard we work.

About the last two points:

> 4. the formal nomination process for the EURALO board members and
> ALAC reps should start after Easter.

In Lisbon, we agreed to have nominations between tomorrow and April 14,
and to have the Chair elected by the Board. I would not reopen the
discussion until we really feel the need to (and we approved the Bylaws
and procedure in Lisbon, so what do we do if someone complains?).

BTW - There are not so many participants to the initial vote, so I would
expect that it won't be a vote on a huge scale; and that's reasonable
for a bootstrapping procedure. Actually, I would like it if we could
find consensus on a slate of candidates and make the vote a formality,
like APRALO did.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------