[EURO-Discuss] not so fast (Re: SIGNERS FOR TOMORROW - URGENT EMAIL)

Thomas Roessler roessler at does-not-exist.org
Wed Mar 28 08:31:44 EDT 2007

Hi Nick,

how about an answer to the questions in this message?

| From: Thomas Roessler <roessler at does-not-exist.org>
| To: nick.ashton-hart at icann.org,
|        Discussion for At-Large Europe <euro-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
| Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:05:55 +0200
| Subject: Re: [EURO-Discuss] Signing the MoUs

On another matter, I notice the following in your proposed
electronic signing statement:

| I hereby consent for [INSERT ORGANISATION FULL NAME] to be bound by
| the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding between ICANN and the
| Signing Organisations in the European Region as if I were personally
| signing the document.

How does this language (which clearly suggests some kind of binding
effect) mix with this statement of yours to the na-discuss list,
made last Friday?

| From:  "Nick Ashton-Hart" <nick.ashton-hart at icann.org>
| Subj:  Re: [NA-Discuss] Suggestion: Name the public as intended beneficiary
|   of RALO MOUs
| Date:  Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 am
| Size:  2K
| To:  "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy at seltzer.com>
| cc:  "Michael Maranda" <mmaranda at afcn.org>, na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
|
| To clarify, as I have been given to understand the MoUs between ICANN
| and the regions is not a contract as that term is understood in law.
| It is an agreement, but not of legal standing such as a contract.

Thanks for your clarification,