[EURO-Discuss] the EURALO board

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Sun Jun 24 08:02:50 EDT 2007

Hi Vittorio and all,

thanks for your remarks and for suggesting some basic points.

Jeanette mentioned this “cleavages“ or split among our EURALO ALSes
already, as you did, and I think we all agree that we have to overcome
this difficult and hampering situation as soon as possible. I agree that
we have to do our utmost, and in particular the future Co-/Chair of
EURALO, to be “inclusive” (no chair function should be “polarizing”!).

Living and working in Switzerland since almost 17 years now I have
learned to appreciate diversity – in terms of language, culture,
regional/geographic particularities or priorities etc. The Swiss
typology of federalism with its strong autonomy of cantons, its system
of direct democracy always goes along with a high level of controversies.
BUT: this political systems couldn’t work without a special sense and
ability to seek compromises, which are acceptable to all, at the end.

That means: I am not afraid about controversial debates and
discourses, to sort out different approaches, opinions and principles
or values -- as long as we can bring it down to compromises, or “rough
consensus”, as you said, “if not by full”. The more we share some
basic principles the easier it will be. Such basic principles to me are:
*that the results should be “people centred” in the very interest of
the Internet end users or the public,
*procedures and decision making processes should be inclusive,
transparent and accountable.

I further agree that the first challenge for the board and Chair of
EURALO will be “to bridge the sort of divide” among the EURALO
ALSes we have seen over the last month.

I also agree with you, that “one main activity for our next months
should be outreach: we should increase diversity, bring many new
organizations in the EURALO, and become more representative and
thus more credible."

I am not aware about the extend to which a Co-chair option would
"bend" our Bylaws, and I leave this up to further discussions and
elaborations on the list. Your suggestion, Vittorio, also matches with
the announcement of Jeanette
(“I want to be frank though as I am afraid of over-committing myself. As
some of you know, I am going to move to London in early autumn and start
a new job. Thus I cannot commit a lot of time to this task in the coming
months and I  would see myself rather in the role of assisting Wolf and
the board with whatever objectives they plan to accomplish.“)

Best,
Wolf

(...)