[EURO-Discuss] Things to discuss

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Jul 9 07:49:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 7/9/07 10:42 AM, "Patrick Vande Walle" <patrick at vande-walle.eu> wrote:

> It might be useful to identify the individuals who will be able to
> attend said events, and the ICANN meeting in LA.

I agree, it makes no sense to be planning events absent any info on who
could attend.

There's been mention of organizing a board meeting prior to the next IGF
consultation, but many people don't come to these, which is understandable
inter alia because the decisions will anyway be made in closed meeting of
the Advisory Group, assuming the UN SG reappoints one.  There would also be
logistical issues with regard to organizing something in Geneva on a Sunday.

Meanwhile, Wolfgang has suggested that his Warsaw event could be used not
only for a F2F board meeting, but also a GA.   This makes sense to me, given
that 1) unlike the IGF, the meeting is focused on ICANN issues, and on the
European scene; 2)  the Bylaws require a GA this year, it'd make sense for
at least the first one to be F2F to build trust etc, and it's not obvious
when/where else would be a better opportunity for that; 3) there'd be
obvious synergies to holding F2F board and GA meetings back to back; and 4)
the date is far enough away for all board members to plan on (barring the
odd schedule conflict) and for us to set the agenda and advertise the event
among the relevant constituencies, who in turn would have time to ramp up.
Bear in mind that under the bylaws, a) the board must notify members and
provide the agenda, financials, and other info at least 30 days prior to a
GA; and b)  only members as of 30 days prior can vote at a GA.  So while
October sounds like a ways away, time would be needed for all concerned to
plan properly.

> Also, it may be better that the Euralo meeting takes place before or
> after the main meetings so that people can devote 100% of their time to
> Euralo.

Since the Studienkreis is Thurs-Friday 11th-12th, presumably this would mean
doing a GA and a board meeting the 9th-10th, unless a half day per is
sufficient the first time out.  If people could indicate whether they could
make these dates, and if it seems a meatspace quorum is possible, then per
Wolfgang we could devise a budget proposal to Nick.

> Yet, I think a teleconference should be useful at this stage, as it will
> prevent the board for being inactive for another two months. It even
> works from most holiday locations.

How about a first board meeting via teleconference the week of 13 August?
This would presumably give us enough time to sort out modalities and
priorities before hand.  Moreover, those who attend the Meissen meeting two
weeks prior, including our proposed chair and VC, could use that opportunity
to plan the teleconference.

> Agree with Vittorio we do not need to go through another formal process
> to select the chair(s). Anyone willing to roll up his/her sleeves has my
> support. What is important now is to go ahead and get the job done.

The bylaws require that "the GA elects at least one chair person and a
treasurer."  We should either follow the bylaws or change them, but not
ignore them.

> Along the same lines, we should launch the survey among ALSes before
> everyone leaves on vacation.

Yes, and at the same time, why not propose the Warsaw dates and see whether
people would be able to attend?

Best,

Bill