[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-Staff] Towards EURALO: A Proposed Roadmap

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at spamcop.net
Thu Jan 11 09:42:27 EST 2007

Thanks for your quick reply Wolfgang!

On 11/01/07, Wolfgang Kleinwächter <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Dear Nick
>
> thanks for pushing things forward. Still ten weeks to go to Lisbon but
> time is running.
>
> First I agree fully with Paul Twomey statement with the "one language
> principle" with regard to official texts of subisdary bodies. However as I
> was told by some lawyers here in germany, it would not be a problem to have
> all the documentation and correspndence in English in case the EU-RALO is
> incorporated in germany. And again costs are low, procedures are very
> lightweight and felxible and there are some people - in form of recognized
> ALS - in Germany who can take care of this. Much easier than UK.

I am informed by more than one lawyer in Germany that there are some legal
documents associated with formation of a company that must be in German.
Which is why we are left with Switzerland and the UK...

Second: Text of MOU and Bylaws should be cleared as qwucik as possible. I do
> not see any big problems after the various meetings we had in Atehens and
> SP. However with reagrd to voting rights I think we need a final solution
> which would allow individuals to have full access to all procedures,
> including voting rights.
>
> Thirs: with regard to the European vacancy in the ALAC, I propose to look
> towards Eastern Europe, preferably a non-EU member. This would give the
> European group in the ALAC more representativeness and legitimacy and would
> be also a signal to the "forgotten countries". With "forgotten countries" I
> mean at large communities in Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbjdjan, Moldova, Georgia,
> Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia etc. which work under complicated conditions,
> fighting for freedom of expression in the Internet, doing very often a great
> job to help small communities to find a way into cyberspace. To strengthen
> these people and to bring them closer to the ICANN community would be an
> important signal. So far we have with Italy and germany two strong EU
> members represented in the ALAC, the third seat shpuld be reserved for
> somebody from the edges.

To date, I believe only one person has replied saying they are willing to
serve, and that is Patrick Vandewalle. Have I missed an applicant?

I draw your attention to the fact that the procedure announced in connection
with filling the vacancy doesn't provide for reservation of the type you
suggest though of course diversity of representation is of course very
important. In connection with the nationality of the person filling the
vacancy, I am presuming that the person who is ultimately recommended by
ALAC from the pool of candidates who put themselves forward would take into
account that Germany and Italy are currently represented and choose someone
from other countries than those two.

Best wishes

> wolfgang
>

> ________________________________

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY
United Kingdom
UK Tel: +44 (20) 8800-1011
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +44 (20) 7681-3135
mobile: +44 (7774) 932798
Win IM: ashtonhart at hotmail.com / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart at mac.com / Skype:
nashtonhart
Online Bio:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart

FESTIVE GREETINGS! As per usual, in lieu of cards for friends and
colleagues, I have made a donation in your name to Medecins Sans Frontieres,
to help them provide medical care to those much less fortunate than
ourselves.