[EURO-Discuss] REMINDER: Deadline approaching for ICANN Lisbon Travel Support Requests

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Wed Feb 21 05:57:57 EST 2007

Dear European ALSes:

The deadline to apply for travel support to attend the ICANN
International Meeting in Lisbon in March approaches - it is 26th March.

I am rather concerned to find that only one request for travel
support has yet been received. Further, virtually no comments have
been seen on the list related to the substantive work of the region
for the Lisbon meeting.

The Lisbon meeting will be a great opportunity for the region to
discuss the issues it cares about, to conclude the work of organising
the RALO, and to meet the many other stakeholders of ICANN. Further,
we're hard at work arranging briefing and discussion sessions for the
At-Large representatives who will be there on issues such as transfer
of domains between registrars and the problems thereof, and the
impacts of domain tasting on users.

I have been asked by the conference organising staff, and by Denise,
about the probability that the European region will be able to
conclude work on its MoU in Lisbon, as we must schedule time to
recognise the achievement ideally during the public sessions, and the
timing in those sessions is very tight. The lack of activity on the
lists, and the lack of travel support requests, certainly is not
encouraging.

The African RALO is going to be recognised in a substantial way as
their MoU will be signed at Lisbon. It is likely that the Asia
Pacific Region's MoU will be done, and this recognised in some way,
at Lisbon as well (though of course the region may wish to have the
more formal recognition of this achievement at the October meeting in
the AP region.

It would be a great thing for the At-Large community worldwide for
Europe to also be in a position to have its MoU signed. I hope that
the community will find the time and energy to make this happen and
of course we will help you however we can. We will begin to ring
round the ALS community to find out where things stand in the next
few days.

The text of the invitation, and the form, is attached.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Director, At-Large