[EURO-Discuss] the EURALO board

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Tue Aug 14 09:20:27 EDT 2007

Glad to hear Wolfgang is all set to go.

On the other points:

I'd be interested to understand how any interaction outside of ICANN, but
related to ICANN's mission, is meant to work.

What I mean in practical terms is that until the EURALO has decided upon a
position with respect to the current policy areas which ICANN stakeholders
is working on, what interaction with anyone other than ICANN is actually
useful?

The purpose of EURALO, as agreed in the Bylaws of EURALO, is:

"The purpose of the Association is to consider and provide advice on the
activities of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the interests of individual
European Internet users, especially with regard to fostering consumer
protection, human rights and civil liberties and to strengthening
participation rights in Internet policy decision making."

Until the EURALO actually has decided positions on any substantive policy
area, what use would interaction with the EU/EC/CoE or anyone else actually
serve?

This is a sensitive time in the development of the At-Large community. If
those outside of At-Large see a RALO making efforts at spending time
interacting with agencies completely outside of ICANN, especially before
being engaged substantively in the work of ICANN, to be honest it will
create a bad impression. ICANN will also be unlikely to fund efforts which
are largely unrelated to ICANN's business, and interacting with the
EC/EU/CoE is something that I believed the various ALSes were intending to
reserve for themselves.

After years of discussing process, there is an expectation in the broader
ICANN community that the At-Large community will become engaged with policy
development, as all the other constituencies are and have been for a long
time now. If they see that the first efforts are related to institutions
completely outside of the ICANN policy development context it will do the
community, and those engaged in such efforts, no good at all.

I'm sorry if this is seen as something of a wet blanket, but I have an
obligation to all of you to provide you with an honest assessment of things
and that's what I'm trying to do here.

--

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart