[EURO-Discuss] ALAC Candidates

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Sun Apr 29 09:11:35 EDT 2007

I am not so sure we can reach a consensus, either through  an online
discussion or a telephone conference either.  The fact that very few
people participate in the discussion is a main issue. A consensus
between a limited number of individuals would be problematic in terms of
democracy.

Similarly, we have no consensus as to the  requirements we would expect
the candidates to match.  Are we selecting on the base of gender and
passport, or do we expect people to have a proven experience in ICANN
matters?

Speaking as a voter, I cannot decide between Sébastien and myself, and
wish I will not have to. We both participated in a lot of ICANN
meetings, work groups and organized parallel events closely linked to
ICANN. As such, we have an equal market value, so to say.

Regarding Veronica, I have not had the pleasure to meet her during the
ICANN meetings I attended over the last four years. I could not find
much information on ICANN-related mailing lists or Google either. I only
have Wolfgang and Annette's comments. Based on the paper she wrote, I
think she has a great potential for the future, though and would
encourage her to join the Euralo board.

I am convinced that the ALAC needs members who can be fully operational
from day one. Given the complexity of the ICANN environment, this is no
simple task and experience does count.

Patrick

--
Patrick Vande Walle