[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] Strawman proposal for the inclusion of individual users within Euralo

Rudi Vansnick rudi.vansnick at isoc.be
Wed Apr 25 09:06:38 EDT 2007

Vittorio Bertola schreef:
> Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
>
>> So, there is actually not much of a difference and individual users have
>> the choice between joining an ALS or the amorphous group for individual
>> users. Actually, this is not a model for individual participation, it
>> just differentiates the structure already there.
>> I would like to participate in an individual capacity.
>>

> I think that you could interpret Patrick's proposal in a way that might
> be more suitable to you: instead than the 50 people electing among
> themselves one representative to the GA (which, by the way, is more or
> less what the NARALO is doing to incorporate individual user
> representation: they will have two GA representatives per ALS plus two
> GA representatives of individual NARALO members no matter how many there
> are), each individual EURALO member could get 1/50 = 0.02 votes in the
> GA. Then you would have a non-integer vote count, but each individual
> would still be able to cast a personal vote directly.
>
> For the rest, I support the point that this is just for voting -
> participation in discussions happens at the individual level anyway.
>
> P.S. Why aren't we having this discussion on the -discuss list? The ALS
> list should be for communication to ALSes only, and anyway I've already
> seen two non-ALS-representatives on this list as well, so I guess that
> the set of participants is the same.

I'm joining Vittorio's statement above. It clearly gives individuals the
right to vote and participate.
Individual user of the Internet are welcome as they are also welcome in
most of the ISOC Chapters. They also can raise their voice as well as
they may have voting rights.

In order to avoid continue debating in stead of helping individuals in
what they expect we should do, we could already think about the near
future once we have voted en elected the necessary members. Proposal
issue : what would be the most urgent topic to be considered and handled
by the EURALO board ?

As Vittorio mentioned also, I'm posting this message on the Euro-discuss
list.

Rudi Vansnick
Chair ISOC Belgium