[EURO-Discuss] At-Large Advisory Committee Election Results

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Thu Dec 7 14:51:14 CST 2006

> I am pleased to announce the ALAC Officers for the coming year. Each officer
> will serve until the close of ICANN's annual meeting in 2007.

When I see these kind of (s)elections, I wonder what influence an ALS
could have on such process, if any. Anyway, congratulations to those
(s)elected.

Now there is a LAC RALO and more others to come, one of the tasks of the
newly elected officers will be to put in place formal processes to
(s)elect representatives and officers. The process should be inclusive.
>From the perspective of an ALS,  the ALAC seems out of touch.

A few days ago, it was explained on this list that the nomcom chair
would suggest a name for the ALAC liaison. Now we see that the ALAC
actually had a vote. Who decided that and when ? Who voted in favour on
this change ? who voted against ?
Many people complain that the most important decisions by the board are
taken during closed teleconferences. We don't want the ALAC to behave in
the same secretive way.

I hope the Euralo ALSes will in the future be able to do is to give its
representatives on the ALAC previously agreed and clear voting
instructions. This also means that the European ALAC members should
report to this list the issues being discussed so we can provide
guidance to them.

Regards,

Patrick