[EURO-Discuss] Proposed Response to At-Large Review from RALOs

Olawale Bakare wales.baky at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:08:39 UTC 2017

Dear Olivier,

Thank you for your email.

Regards,
Wale

On 23 Mar 2017 18:16, "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <ocl at gih.com> wrote:

Dear EURALO members,

after a long process which asked you to comment on the At-Large Review,
including contributions from at least 30 people across all RALOs to the
Google Doc, both on the Google Doc itself, but also by sending RALO
Chairs comments by email, in English, Spanish and French, it appears
that we have a pretty complete RALO response to the At-Large Review.
The Google DOC is now turned to '"view only".
Please email me if there is anything that stands out as being out of
line. Altogether, it's a pretty impressive document considering we
received input from dozens of people --- and not just the usual suspects.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZLG-xM-WbyhI9LqAkS3pGZwvDjBI10h0xxYp5
ChOPA/edit?usp=sharing

In my opinion, the process by which the input was received and the
spontaneous response from ALSes is such that it is a testimony that the
mixed RALO/ALS and RALO/individual user model is possible and actually
works. A significant response is possible when a topic is close to the
heart of our members.

I have seen support for the ITEMS report elsewhere in ICANN. What has
struck me as well is the outright emotional hostility shown by some of
the commentators that have submitted comments to the public forum. What
I have found sad is that the criticism that was wielded at At-Large was
not constructive at all. Quite the contrary, it followed in the same
hostile language and manner of the Review that I have neither found
constructive nor helpful at all.

I hope you'll recognise that the RALO response tries to be constructive.
It is not as polished as the forthcoming ALAC response as by design, we
kept verbatim extracts of the input received - so contributors can
recognise their imprint on the document.

The deadline for the comment to be submitted is tomorrow, 24 April 2017
at 23:59 UTC. I cannot urge you enough to submit your own comments
directly with the commenting process. Full details are on:
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/atlarge-review-draft-
report-2017-02-01-en

RALO Chairs plan to get staff to submit the response (or to submit the
response themselves) by the deadline tomorrow, with a note that the
document is undergoing RALO ratification.

In EURALO, I'd like to hear the choice how YOU want this document
ratified by EURALO?

1. a consensus call? So anyone objecting to any of the responses can
make themselves known, including the response they object to?
2. An anonymous vote on each of the responses - so any ALS can vote in
support or against each of the responses
3. An anonymous vote on the Statement itself - so any ALS can vote in
support or against the whole Statement without detailing the responses
4. Any other suggestion?

Please respond as soon as possible, as if we are to conduct a vote, I'd
like to keep the vote open for at least 5 working days.

Kindest regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
EURALO Chair

Homepage for the region: http://www.euralo.org