[EURO-Discuss] [ALAC] ALAC Resignation

Bastiaan Goslings bastiaan.goslings at ams-ix.net
Mon Jan 9 14:55:19 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for sharing, Olivier.

This is most unfortunate. I remember well nominating myself and taking part in the elections that led to Veronica deservedly winning the EURALO ALAC position. The outcome we now face is obviously not according to plan. However I completely understand, and I sincerely wish Veronica all the best on her further endeavours and hope she will stay linked and remain available to the community to assist us with her knowledge, network and experience if need be.

As ‘time is of the essence’, I gave it some thought, talked to a few people, and decided to nominate myself once more for this EURALO ALAC seat. I not only feel a moral obligation to do so, considering the circumstances. More importantly I still think I can add value for the At-large community by bringing my background, commitment, eagerness to learn, and the time necessary to help protect the interests of Internet users in an ICANN context. Due to personal circumstances I have more time available than before, which from a practical perspective should help to quickly bring myself up to speed.

(To be honest, since losing the previous election, I distanced myself somewhat from ICANN/At Large activities. Mostly because I was swamped by work, which combined with other obligations and personal challenges led to a situation that I had to miss a large number of conference calls. And then one looses touch with developments, at least I did.)

I am aware some might feel that from a ‘diversity’ standpoint I might be less than an ideal candidate. That has not changed since my last nomination. Despite this I trust people will take my nomination and my potential qualities at face value.

My statement of interest: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Bastiaan+Goslings+SOI

And a copy/paste from my previous nomination, just in case:

—-

Working as the regulatory affairs spokesperson for one of the world’s largest Internet Exchanges (AMS-IX), I have attended a few ICANN meetings over the years, using them mainly as important industry events for networking purposes. But since attending the ATLAS II summit on behalf of the Dutch ISOC chapter, of which I am a board member, and all the IANA transition- and accountability discussions and work that followed, I felt that I should bring something back to the community seeing the important transition phase the multistakeholder community finds itself in. I guess that now that I have the time I should make the commitment. Or at least offer to do so.

I am an economist, became an information analyst and project manager/ICT consultant, and was later also trained as a network engineer and UNIX sysadmin. Before I got into policy matters and (telecommunications’) legislation. On behalf of my employer I spend a lot of time at ministries and going to meetings and conferences, spreading the gospel of how the internet technically works and how through collaboration decisions are made and why therefore the internet has grown into the phenomenon that take we in the West now sometimes take for granted. In the Netherlands the succes has led to the setting up a year ago, and I was part of it from the start, of a new industry body, the Digital Infrastructure Netherlands platform. Which we very successfully use to propagate the message that we have something, albeit it slightly hidden, that we can build on to bring further future wealth and wellbeing for all. If we keep the right conditions in mind. And on the other hand that we cannot do it alone and we need all stakeholders on board to battle the negative side effects of a well functioning reliable, cheap and neutral internet infrastructure (e.g. abuse).

I am the liaison for AMS-IX in the GSMA and have participated there in policy development related to the interconnection of mobile networks, especially when it comes to (international) roaming. I continue to be surprised at the completely different mindset and business approach of the traditional telco’s, as opposed to the way IP-networks interconnect and peer with each other to deliver internet services and create end-to-end connectivity for end-users and devices. But being aware of this definitely helps when providing Dutch governmental representatives input when they’re preparing for their next ITU gathering.

A bit of further context: in the ISOC Netherlands board I am responsible for the dossiers related to (new legislation) for Dutch LEA’s and intelligence agencies, and I participate in public private cooperations to mitigate the impact of botnets as well as to improve the use of open and secure internet standards (DNSSEC, TLS, DKIM, IPv6 etc). I works closely with the RIPE community (the NCC is also based in Amsterdam), and I am the chair of the Euro-IX Regulatory Affairs Working Group (Euro-IX is an association for Internet Exchanges). I (co)organised and hosted workshops at global and national IGFs. I interact a lot with civil servants, politicians, NRA’s, LEA’s, and private sector stakeholders.

The business of the non profit company I work is neutral and very technology oriented. Some argue that the same applies to ICANN when you look purely at its technical remit. While that might sound reasonable, I sincerely believe that the interests of end-users, i.e. what ALAC stands for, requires continued and probably even stronger future focus as commercial and political pressures are becoming more and more dominant. To be honest I would need to catch up on the specifics of current relevant ICANN policy developments. However topics and liaison roles where I think I could add value within the ALAC are a.o. with regard to interests of LEA’s and the GAC, the topic of Human Rights (I did some work with fellow ISOC Netherlands colleague Niels ten Oever in the CCWG WS2 subgroup on Human Rights), the role and liability of intermediaries and connectivity providers (ISPCP), as well as technical and security related discussions.

—-

Thanks for accepting this statement of interest, and I’m sure you will let me know in case there are any remarks and/or questions.

With kind regards,
Bastiaan

--

Bastiaan Goslings