[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: Enhancing cooperation between EURALO and our Individual Users' Association.

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Oct 30 11:55:53 UTC 2016

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Enhancing cooperation between EURALO and our Individual Users'
Association.
Date: 	Sat, 29 Oct 2016 09:37:06 -0700
From: 	Jean-Jacques Subrenat <jjs.global at gmail.com>
To: 	euroindividuals at googlegroups.com, wales.baky at googlemail.com,
roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com, ocl <ocl at gih.com>

Dear Colleague,

on 26th of October 2016, a conference call was organized between the
Board of EURALO and the Board of your Association. Here is a summary of
the meeting:

_1) EURALO & ICANN SUPPORT FOR OUR USERS’ ASSOCIATION_
As a certified ALS (At-Large Structure) within ICANN, our Association
may request support from ICANN through our parent body, EURALO (European
At-Large Organization). Such support generally applies to:
- TRAVEL SUPPORT may be provided for one representative per ALS to
attend the General Assembly of the RALOs (Regional At-Large
Organizations). In the case of our Association, such a request should be
forwarded through EURALO.
- A SURVEY may be conducted by our Association with the help of ICANN
Staff, or the latter may run a survey on our behalf. In either case, we
would need to follow the regulations which apply to Staff (fairness,
accountability, standard tools throughout ICANN). Whereas in the past
Staff used SurveyMonkey, now its prescribed survey application is
ClickTools.
- As you are aware, our Association sent out a survey to its Members two
months ago in order to determine their expectations and suggestions.
This survey was conducted before we were aware of the new standard ICANN
tools, so we will now check whether ICANN Staff can help us retrieve the
answers and put them in a form compatible with the new standards. If
that is the case, the results will be sent to our Members.

_2) INVOLVEMENT OF ASSOCIATION MEMBERS IN EURALO AND ALAC_
Our ALS is the first to have responded to EURALO Chair’s request for a
list of topics in which our Members have expertise. It is also the first
ALS to have availed itself of the offer by the EURALO Chair to hold a
conference call with EURALO.
- EURALO asked for a list of our Members with experience and expertise
in areas which are relevant to the remit of ICANN and its policy
development. In our preliminary response, we provided a list of areas of
expertise, but without names of individuals.
- In the coming weeks, the Wording Group chaired by Yrjö Länsipuro will
inform our ALS of the areas in which the expertise of our members may be
useful. If you have the corresponding expertise, your participation in
the Working Groups would be most welcome, and I will forward your
statement of interest to Yrjö Länsipuro.

_3) ASSOCIATION WEBSITE_
- EURALO Leadership appreciates the general layout and ease of access of
our Association website. Some links deserve a more prominent place: ALAC
policy page, ALAC Working Groups, EURALO workspace. The Board of our
Association will look into these points.

_4) FUTURE ACTIVITIES_
- For the mutual benefit of EURALO and our Association, it might be
interesting to prepare a joint event, say in 2017, either at a venue to
be determined, or online.
- If the case of an event entailing costs (venue, travel, etc.),
sponsorship would need to be obtained through EURALO, typically in March
or April in time for budgeting. There is no guarantee that funding or
other forms of support would be forthcoming, but if there is an
interesting topic and good organisation, it would be worth submitting.
- In the case of an online event, there would be no costs. Staff support
could be requested for organization, meeting management, monitoring,
recording. Such a request would be examined by ICANN on an ad hoc basis.
- In preparing an event, the most important factors are the theme, the
speakers. We should not rule out a meeting with a venue, e.g. ICANN
meeting in Copenhagen, or EURODIG in Estonia.
- Our Association Members are most welcome to submit their suggestions.

I am copying this email to Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Chair of EURALO, with
the request that he kindly forward it to the members of EURALO, and
support Staff, who attended our joint call earlier this week.

On behalf of the Board:
Jean-Jacques Subrenat,
Chair.