[EURO-Discuss] Follow up of EURALO GA comments on engagement

Jordi Iparraguirre ipa at josoc.cat
Tue Jun 28 08:14:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

first, please accept my apologies for not being present during the
complete GA, it overlapped some early morning family duties.

I'd like to stress what Veronica said (typed) during the last minutes of
the meeting.

It would be nice (and a milestone in our engagement endeavour) if ICANN
staff (regional and HQ) and fellow ALAC members could drop a line and
try to meet with local ALSs whenever they get close to an ALS place.

ALS members not directly involved in the IG/ICANN processes experience
low involvement, and thus face a low barrier to leave the ALS, so
difficulting ALS growth, participation and renewal.

They join the ALS because they somehow feel identified with our goals,
but many do not have time or wish to actively participate in the policy
development processes. To increase engagement, having the opportunity to
meet or to listen to other people directly related to these processes
may help. They may feel identified and satisfied to have this 2nd row
seat to the process.

Warn enough in advance. Let's keep in mind that many members of the ALS
do have a job not related to IG and cannot ask for a free day to attend
and/or organize a formal meeting. So sending them as much in advance an
invitation to attend your presentation, or reserve some minutes for an
informal afterwork meetings might be very well received.

For any average ALS member, to fully participate in the ICANN policy
development process asks for high involvement; learning curve is long
and almost flat, you need quite a lot of time to read, understand and
participate, and quite often you need free time during standard working
hours to join a teleconference or other activities. Not easy.

BTW, this is something that we have also proposed to ISOC staff.

rgds
jordi