[EURO-Discuss] New ALS Application received

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Wed Sep 16 13:04:45 UTC 2015

Hello Christoph,

thanks for this very personal assessment on the recent application from Germany. I have not read the application form in detail yet but I can imagine (or know) that other existing ALSes may have similar limitations (like number of persons involved etc.).

And just for clarification: The liberal party FDP is NOT in the German federal parliament at the moment and likewise the President is not a MP ;-) but an ALAC member. And I do not share your suspicions about "LOAD being a “U-Boat” (submarine) of the Freie Demokratische Partei".

Let's wait for the usual DD procedure conducted by Staff -- afterwards the regional advice from EURALO will be needed anyhow.

Best regards,
Wolf

Christoph Bruch wrote Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:08:
>Thanks for alerting me!
>

>LOAD e.V. is an association, a typical legal form on Germany that needs at least 7 persons to be founded.
>

>I assume that LOAD does not have any or many more members than required 7 board members.
>

>The current president is a member of the German federal parliament and member of the liberal party (Freie Demokratische Partei – FDP)
>

>The postal address of LOAD e.V. is right next to that of the federal administration of the Freie Demokratische Partei.
>

>From what I can see on the website of LOAD e.V. their only activity has been to protest against a law on mandatory preservation of information on internet traffic and a related criminal investigation.
>

>The charter of LOAD states the following aims, see below
>
>-          Develop stances on internet policy
>
>-          Develop and publish teaching material on internet policy and digital divide
>
>-          Stage related events
>
>-          Disseminate information about new technology (I guess they mean internet related technology)
>
>-          Support research and perform research themselves [it is not clearly stated what research is to be supported pursued]
>

>According to my understanding the goals are in line with EURALO aims.
>

>Politically speaking – based on my current knowledge I would consider LOAD being a “U-Boat” of the Freie Demokratische Partei.
>

>But I would not consider this a barrier for accepting their application if being a subsidiary (legally they are not) of a political party is not ruled out by ICANN / EURALO statutes.
>

>Regards,
>

>Christoph
>
>Zweck des Vereins ist die Förderung der politischen Bildung der Bevölkerung und die Förderung der demokratischen Teilhabe an der Digitalisierung durch Bürgerinnen und Bürger zum Zwecke und im Lichte der Grundrechtsausübung.
>
>Im Einzelnen wird der Vereinszweck vor allem durch folgende Punkte verwirklicht werden:
>
>*	Erarbeitung von Positionen zu netzpolitischen Themen
>*	Erstellung und Verbreitung von Publikationen und Lehr- und Lernmaterialien zu Fragestellungen der Informationsgesellschaft, um die bestehende “digitale Spaltung” zu schließen
>*	Verbreitung von Informationen über neue Technologien
>*	Organisation und Mitwirkung an Vortragsveranstaltungen, Tagungen, Schulungen, Diskussionen, Gesprächskreisen zu den gesellschaftlichen Auswirkungen des digitalen Wandels, zu Fragestellungen der Netzpolitik und zu neuen demokratischer Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten.
>*	Öffentlichkeitsarbeit – online wie offline – um die Ziele und Interessen des Vereins in allen Bevölkerungsschichten bekannt zu machen und die öffentliche Debatte zu fördern.
>*	Unterstützung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung zu netzrelevanten Themen durch eigene Forschungsanstrengungen im Rahmen von Studien, Konzepten und anderweitigen Veröffentlichungen

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/
mobile +41 79 204 83 87
Skype: Wolf-Ludwig