[EURO-Discuss] REMINDER: EURALO Single Issue call - DUBLIN General Assembly Preparation call

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue Jul 21 21:03:29 UTC 2015

Hi Bill and all,

thanks for this feedback. We approved tonight that the Public Interest should be the next key topic for the content part of our next GA in Dublin.

All our internal and side talks have shown the pressing importance of the issue -- or pointed to the existing gaps: In official statements, rhetoric or soap-box oratory ICANN is regularly referring to the PI as an "important goal or reference" while ICANN's decision making raises strong doubts in various cases (let's call it an opportunist approach and reality ;-). And there is some clear evidence that is is an important guideline for the GAC and ALAC (in best cases at least) while other constituencies sometimes openly contest its relevance or flimsy argue like "there is no clear definition, source, relevance or evidence or whatever ..."  Example: Having followed exchanges on the CCWG-A list over the last months, I was consternated by the arbitrariness and flatness of contesters of the Public Interest. Sure, it may be a "Western" or "Occidental" concept by its origins and evolvment but the UDHR and the like is questioned, challenged or contested with comparable flaw arguments ... Therefor it seems that we start the right debate at the right moment.

You support is welcome! Thanks,
Wolf

P. S. We are aware that the timing of our calls ("dinner time") is not optimal at all for certain people. But please keep in mind that the majority of our members (volunteers) cannot do such calls during their prof. working hours = day time. And later evening hours proofed to be exclusive as well ...

William Drake wrote Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:21:
>Hello
>
>Unfortunately it turns out that I will be unable to add this meeting to today's diet of conference calls.  However, if this is relevant, I would like to voice my strong support for the suggestion on the agenda of focusing the meeting thematically on the global public interest.  This is an increasingly pressing issue in many contexts and it would be good to have a European-oriented discussion of the concept and its meaning in the ICANN context.
>
>Relatedly, I might point out this session I’ve organized for the IGF meeting, stimulated in no small part by various intra-ICANN discussions:
>
>http://intgovforum.org/cms/wks2015/index.php/proposal/view_public/52 <http://intgovforum.org/cms/wks2015/index.php/proposal/view_public/52>
>
>Best
>
>Bill
>
>PS: I really wish Euralo’s calls were not all at dinner time.
>

>> On Jul 20, 2015, at 4:23 PM, ICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you require a dial-out please contact At-Large staff at staff at atlarge.icann.org <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org> with your preferred number.
>> Please remember that it is now possible to connect your audio via the AC room, without using your telephone. You need a stable internet connection. If you would like a reminder of how to connect please let staff know.
>>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> Please note that the EURALO July monthly call has been cancelled due to the summer vacation in Europe. However  we will be holding a SINGLE ISSUE: Dublin General Assembly Preparation call on Tuesday 21 July 2015 at 1800 UTC.
>>
>> The agenda (to be updated) and call details can be found at
>> https://community.icann.org/x/haw0Aw <https://community.icann.org/x/haw0Aw>
>>
>> Conference bridge: 1638
>> Toll free numbers: http://adigo.com/icann/ <http://adigo.com/icann/>
>>
>> Adobe Connect:  http://icann.adobeconnect.com/euralo <http://icann.adobeconnect.com/euralo>
>>
>> If you require a dial-out please contact At-Large staff at:
>> staff at atlarge.icann.org <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org%3cmailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org>
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Gisella Gruber, Nathalie Peregrine and Terri Agnew
>> ICANN Policy Staff in support of ALAC
>> E-mail: staff at atlarge.icann.org <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org>
>> Facebook: www.facebook.com/icann.atlarge <https://www.facebook.com/icann.atlarge>
>> Twitter: @ICANN_AtLarge <https://twitter.com/ICANN_AtLarge>
>>
>> One World, One Internet

>> Homepage for the region: http://www.euralo.org <http://www.euralo.org/>
>William J. Drake
>International Fellow & Lecturer
>  Media Change & Innovation Division, IPMZ
>  University of Zurich, Switzerland
>Chair, Noncommercial Users Constituency,
>  ICANN, www.ncuc.org
> [...]

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/
mobile +41 79 204 83 87