[EURO-Discuss] apologies, Working Group on EURALO Bylaws revision

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue Feb 24 20:31:38 UTC 2015

Hello,

this is just to confirm that we discussed the issue of EURALO Bylaws revision under agenda item 7 tonight and the suggestion to create a WG. On tonight's call participants expressed no urgency or immediate need for this.

Let me just recapitulate some considerations from May 2014, before our last GA in London:
"We realized long time ago some "problems" with the EURALO Bylaws when we
amended them in spring 2011 (before the Belgrade GA). Most EURALO insiders are
aware that the Bylaws are *too long, bulky, overloaded and according to rigid
German association law standards* under which they were drafted in 2006. Over
the years we realized that many parts and prescriptions do not correspond with
our functioning and realities or on a regular level -- on the other hand, they
*do not restrain* our functioning neither.

Therefore, such "revision" of our Bylaws would mainly mean *reduction to the
essentials* but not rewriting of the Bylaws as such. And if we do so, this
must be done by a small group of people who are experienced and familiar with
different association law standards and regimes. Such a work would mean a
cutting down from heavy and rigid German standards to "simple and easy to
handle" Swiss standards which are well recognized for this.

And I think, almost everybody has understood so far that such a work or special
task cannot be done during a General Assembly but as outlined above!
Furthermore, I really think we have plenty of other (functioning) problems
which are far more urgent to be discussed than Bylaws revision  -- what is a
"nice to have" compared with.”

If people who have not been on our call tonight feel an immediate need for such a WG and are willing to participate in it, please let us know. Thanks and

best regards,
Wolf