[EURO-Discuss] ICANN Board candidate (Seat 15) selection process and proxy vote

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue Feb 25 22:33:14 UTC 2014

Dear all,

as discussed at our (well attended) monthly call tonight – agenda item 8 -, there are some URGENCIES for our region over the next weeks regarding the ICANN Board candidate (Seat 15) selection and voting consultations among our members.

A first Announcement: At-Large Board Director Slate of Candidates Selected by the BCEC and Next Steps was sent to this list by At-Large Staff on 28 January to give you a first overview about the five candidates.

Further to this, one of our ALAC members who are part of the electorate is personally involved as one of the candidates (Jean-Jacques Subrenat) and needs to be replaced for the voting –- for more details see:
https://community.icann.org/display/ABMS/At-Large+Board+Member+2014+Selection

As discussed tonight, we would like to ask you for suggestions of names to replace Jean-Jacques Subrenat in the upcoming voting. As the timeframe is short for this (4th March) you can name suitable replacements until Friday this week (28 February midnight). If we receive more than one suggestion, we have to conduct a majority vote until the beginning of next week on EURALO’s proxy vote. As it is difficult to assume how many of our members will contribute within a few days, let me suggest that a simple majority of those who respond will count.

According to the narrow timeline of the Board Member Selection process, we need to conduct our regional consultation on the five candidates until Sunday, 16 March (!) – to allow the Chair (who is part of the electorate as well) a *directed vote from our community*, as we did in 2010 during the first Board Member Selection process. Based on the experience from 2010, there won’t be a winner in the first round vote (starting from 16 March) and we may need to conduct a 2nd regional consultation on the final candidates early April.

I am aware that this is a challenging schedule for EURALO again but – as in the past – our members should have a say in this important selection process for Seat 15 again. Your support for this is much appreciated! If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks and

kind regards,
Wolf

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/