[EURO-Discuss] R: RE : Article 29 Party Write to ICANN again

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Tue Feb 11 23:28:08 UTC 2014

All

Picking this thread up again . .. last week was a tad busy chez Blacknight :)

As Chair of the RrSG I asked our EU based members to share their experiences with me with respect to the waiver process.

In some cases there has been some "back and forth" between them and ICANN, which they're finding incredibly frustrating, as it's dragging on and on without any actual resolution in sight.
In other cases they're not getting any updates at all

Now one of the core "issues" here appears to be that ICANN does not seem to comprehend how seriously we Europeans take data privacy.

Google France learnt this the hard way:

http://www.internetnews.me/2014/02/08/french-dpc-slaps-google-150k-fine/

The 150k fine is small change for a company the size of Google, but being forced to display the notice prominently on their homepage for several days?

Art. 29 had warned them - they ignored it and to date they've been fined by in at least 3 different jurisdictions.

The saga continues, but I'm personally frustrated and angry at this stage. Yet again this evening I was contacted by a new TLD operator who is going live within a few weeks and we can't do business with them and offer their extensions to our clients.

I went into it all in more detail here:
http://blog.blacknight.com/blow-fuse.html

Regards

Michele