[EURO-Discuss] Studienkreis

Veronica Cretu veronicacretu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:14:50 UTC 2013

Dear Roberto,
thank you very much for this summary and the updates, read them with much
interest!
I understand the event was indeed interesting and captivating, and if Fadi
changed his plans and stayed for one more day - that shows once again the
importance of the issues addressed during it!

With very best,
Veronica

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Roberto Gaetano <
roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I made the mistake of not taking notes while the meeting was going on, so
> there are details that I do not remember, please feel free to add/correct
> what is needed.
>

> This year, the format has been slightly different. With the exception of
> the
> first session, there have been no formal presentations, but rather short
> introductions by “resource persons” followed by wider discussion and Q/A
> among all participants.
>
> Fadi Chehadé was supposed to attend only part of the first day, but changed
> his plans and remained for the second day as well, indicating that he was
> extremely satisfied about the discussion and the contribution by the
> participants. He also answered specific questions about the ICANN plans.
>

> The first session was about the status of the Internet in Italy. Antonio
> Amendola (Senior Advisor to Deputy Minister for Economic Development)
> presented the apologies of the Deputy Minister, Antonio Catricalà, who has
> been unable to attend. Several personalities (see the attached programme)
> have presented different aspects of the Internet in Italy. I am not aware
> if
> the slides of the presentations are available for distribution.
>
> Now the coordination on Internet matters is ensured by the Ministry of
> Economic Development, while in the past different ministries like for
> instance the Ministry of Telecommunications and the Ministry of Industry
> had
> partial responsibility on it.
>
> The engagement of the Italian government on the digital agenda has been
> stressed by several participants. Fadi has reported about his meeting with
> the Deputy Minister Catricalà in Rome the day before, in which the
> potentially important role that Italy can play in the Internet governance
> matters has been discussed.
>
> This session has been closed by the presentation of the .IT by the Director
> of the Institute of Informatics and Telematics, an institute depending from
> the Italian top research institution, the CNR (National Council of
> Research).
>

> The second part of the afternoon was opened by Fadi, with a description of
> the challenges that ICANN is facing and the way he plans to address them.
> The key point that he has addressed is ICANN’s “equal multi-stakeholder
> model”, that has to guarantee that all stakeholder have not only “a voice”,
> but “equal voice” in the process.
>
> Then a session on Internet Governance was planned. However, due to the wide
> impact that the Snowden case had on all participants, the discussion has
> focused almost only on privacy vs. security issues. My personal impression
> is that the vast majority of the participants were critical about the
> principle of limiting the privacy and controlling the data exchanged on the
> Internet even if this could address security issues like, for instance,
> [...]

*Veronica Cretu *
*
**President, "CMB" Training Center,
**Republic of Moldova - www.cmb.md *

*Member of the Steering Committee, *
*Open Government Partnership (OGP);*
*http://www.opengovpartnership.org/governance-staff-donors*<http://www.opengovpartnership.org/governance-staff-donors>

*Member of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group*
*To the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)*
*http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/*

*Member of the Nominating Committee of ICANN*
*(Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbering)*
*www.icann.org*

*Email: veronicacretu at gmail.com and/or veronica at cretu.md
Skype: veronicacretu
Phone: 373 067435000*