[EURO-Discuss] Invitation: Conference on Global Internet Governance in Bern, 6-7 December

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Nov 13 11:03:26 UTC 2013

Hi

Mira Burri of the World Trade Institute (WTI) and I are organizing the Biannual Conference of the Swiss Network of International Studies (SNIS) at the WTI, University of Bern on Friday – Saturday December 6th – 7th.  The event is titled, The Institutionalization of Global Internet Governance: Multistakeholderism, Multilateralism and Beyond, and will feature some leading analysts of Internet governance presenting draft memos that will subsequently grow into chapters for an edited book we'll publish late next year.  As the name suggests, this is an effort to pull back from the various debates concerning multilateral vs multistakeholder vs other global governance architectures and set the questions in a broader framework focused on the processes of international institutionalization and institutional design.  By exploring shared analytical concerns with respect to concrete cases, we hope to provide greater clarity about the costs/benefits of different design choices, highlight practices worth replicating or avoiding, identify generalizable lessons learned, and so on.  We believe a conference and book along these lines will be rather timely and could make a real contribution to advancing the global debate.  If this is of interest to anyone in Euralo, we’d love to have you there.  The program and registration are at http://www.snis.ch/node/8146.

If you have any questions, please let me know.  Thanks for considering this invitation.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer