[EURO-Discuss] Draft Board Report (2012-13) for Lisbon GA

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue May 21 22:12:01 UTC 2013

Dear Olivier,

thanks for this feedback and your remarks what is much appreciated. Please allow me to insert my comments below
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote Tue, 21 May 2013 23:11:
>Dear Wolf,
>
>thank you for making this excellent report available.
>
>My comments, following the order of your report's section numbers, are
>laid out here:
>
>"2. EURALO representations"
>
>In this section you mention re: the ICANN Academy which is in fact only
>the "Leadership Programme" of the ICANN Academy, that "The first pilot of
>this project is foreseen for the ICANN 47 meeting in Durban in July this
>year."
>
>This is incorrect. I believe that the pilot would be set for the Buenos
>Aires meeting. I'll let Sandra correct this accordingly.

(WL) Thanks and agreed -- I was not sure about Durban or BA later this year. I need to check these details incl. newer links with Sandra before we "officially submit" this report.

>Further, may I suggest that the Academy initial proposal has evolved a
>lot since the beginning and the work of the two WGs, both version 1,
>https://community.icann.org/display/Improve/At-Large+ICANN+Academy+Ad-Hoc+Working+Group
>and the expanded cross-community version 2,
>https://community.icann.org/display/Improve/At-Large+ICANN+Academy+Expanded+Working+Group+Workspace
>and these might therefore be better starting points for relating to the
>work of the working group.

(WL) To be checked with and approved by Sandra.

>"4. Out-reach and In-reach"
>LACRALO might have found a way to improve participation, and that's to
>have its monthly call extended to 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes, but
>each monthly call contains a 30-45 minute Capacity Building Webinar,
>where they invite an expert from ICANN, sometimes a staff member,
>sometimes someone from another part of ICANN's community, sometimes an
>in-house expert, to speak about a subject and answer questions. It is
>hoped that as a result, more people from ALSes will start understanding
>the issues better and take a more active part in the work. This appears
>to have worked so far, with increased participation on the monthly call.
>
>There are other initiatives which have been tried by LACRALO and I'll be
>happy to share them with everyone during the Face to Face in Lisbon,
>whether during the formal F2F or the informal one before.
>
>Yesterday I did a short Webinar for APRALO, and repeated it in its
>entirety to LACRALO, which explains the ALAC policy development process.
>How Statements get written? What is the involvement of an ALAC member in
>his/her region? What do RALO leaders have to do to engage ALSes? Indeed,
>how can ALSes be heard? The talk is around 30 minutes and I'd be happy
>to engage in Lisbon for it. As a result, please be so kind to find the
>slide deck attached and consider tabling 30 minutes either during the GA
>agenda or informally before.

(WL) I always tried to keep these reports as short and concise as possible (2 pages max.) and concentrating on "previous" facts and experiences in the reporting period by avoiding too many details or scenarios (or examples from other RALOs). IMO, this annual report is a summary about what WE did or didn't do last year and not a discussion paper or project proposal. The examples you noted here from other RALOs are *important* and valuable for our on-spot discussion in Lisbon, to look over the fence to see what others do better than we did so far, to consider better practices -- but this shouldn't be part of this annual report. Let me suggest that you point to these good examples at the GA itself under the Agenda points 10 to 13 -- see:
https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO/2013+EURALO+General+Assembly

>"5. Individual Membership"
>Let's define an interim Chair of this and a set of members, who may
>already be members of ALSes, acting in an interim capacity, as
>Christopher Wilkinson has suggested during the EURALO call. I believe
>that the "home" needs to be built before it starts getting filled with
>individual members. And I believe that individual members will come when
>the home is built.

(WL) I didn't want to commend on this again ;-) Well, we created a list of factual and potential indiv. members already by keeping this group open. As the folks concerned (except Siranush before) didn't care for any follow-up, we prepared the first and next steps for them (incl. draft Bylaws and application form). We found Roberto and Veronica serving as the contact points to get the application ready for DD and certification procedure. I am hesitating to do anything more for "them" like defining an interim Chair for this ALS -- I won't be part of it and therefore *they* should define and select BY themselves. I am open to anything what makes this initiative finally work, if it's not always remotely operated by us. Let's add it as a sub-point to the Lisbon Agenda BUT we shouldn't say more in the Board report (besides what didn't work so far ;-)

>able to be an ALS *representative* in another region, this is forbidden
>in the ALAC bylaws for a reason to make sure there might not be a
>possibility of manipulation/capture. It is 99.9% sure that this cannot
>change because any change to this rule would need approval from the ALAC
>and approval from the Board and I don't see this happening ever.
>
>Of course, there is no rule against being a simple member of several
>ALSes. I am a member of 3 ALSes in 3 different regions; some are members
>of more than 3, in different or in the same region, it doesn't matter.

(WL) I explained this point in length and details already by making clear that we can be *simple members* of different ALSes inside and outside a region BUT we can NOT be *representatives* of more than one ALS (inside or outside a region), as you confirmed Olivier. And I repeatedly noted that we (at RALO level) cannot change this rule. IF anybody is still unhappy with this binding ALAC rule, the person can try to convince ALAC about a respective change of their Bylaws! This was my very last comment on this point.

Other comments are of course welcome. Thanks for your inputs so far, Olivier.

Kind regards,
Wolf

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/