[EURO-Discuss] R: R: Trip to Caucasus - Chapter 3 - Georgia

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed Jul 10 15:15:52 UTC 2013

Isn´t Berlusconi-Land over? :-)))

________________________________

Von: euro-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org im Auftrag von Roberto Gaetano
Gesendet: Mi 10.07.2013 16:42
An: 'Discussion for At-Large Europe'
Betreff: [EURO-Discuss] R: R: Trip to Caucasus - Chapter 3 - Georgia

Wolf,
Obviously my appreciation error.
However, my answer was in comparison with other places where I did
experience restriction on media, like in Turkey (that was, however, not part
of my report).
Also, what I could observe was only a limited part of free expression, i.e.
internet censorship: I could not appreciate other aspects, like for instance
the role of the government in controlling the printed press.
Reporters without Borders have obviously a much wider and better view, so I
stand corrected.
R.

PS: I also note that in the world chart they provide Georgia is marked in
orange, in the same category of Italy, so you might also say that this is
the reason why I found nothing abnormal about it!
 :>)

Ramaz):

> [...]
free
> WiFi.
> >On
> >> the other hand, I compare this with Mestia, in the Svaneti, another
> >> place with high touristic potential, but on the Caucasus mountains,
> >> where no B&B offered WiFi, and I was unable to find any establishment
> >> included it. My assumption was, although it was difficult to verify
> >> this with the local
> >people,
> >> that the limited bandwidth in some areas was the limiting factor.
> >> But, as I said, it is just my personal speculation.
> >>
> >> I had another example of the situation in remote areas travelling to
> >> the Tusheti area (in the Caucasus mountains, north-east Georgia). The
> >> electric and telephone lines, installed in Soviet times, were
> >> abandoned because the cost of maintenance was too high, leaving the
> >> whole area without power and connectivity. It has to be said that the
> >> road itself to Omalo, the largest
> >village
> >> in Tusheti, is passable only by 4x4 vehicles and the Abano pass
> >> itself is
> >closed
> >> from October to May because of snow. However, the population got
> >> organized: almost every household has solar cells and is therefore
> >> autonomous for electrical power, and there are GSM (solar-powered)
> >> cells that ensure mobile phone connectivity to the valley. I was
> >> impressed by
> >this,
> >> and thought that this could be an example for other parts of the
> >> world, where laying cables is too costly. Incidentally, at about the
> >> same time I
> >heard
> >> the recent news about the experiments on internet connection via
> >> satellite in New Zealand, which shows that new ways are being explored.
> >>
> >> Talking about mobile phones, there seems to be excellent market
> >> penetration.
> >> While it is true that the monopoly situation has slowed down the
> >> progress, my observation, in cities and also in remote areas, is that
> >> the initial
> >delay has
> >> been caught up. There is a wide offer, and if you get a local SIM
> >> card you
> >can
> >> reload it also at ATM-like machines that are widely available for
> >different
> >> types of payments.
> >>
> >> The last comment is about the geopolitical collocation of Georgia. I
> >> have
> >> say that travelling through the country I had the impression to be in
> >Europe.
> >> Just the signs in Georgian alphabet reminded me that I was in the
> >Caucasus.
> >> As a matter of fact, this proximity to Europe made me forget to
> >> inquiry
> >about
> >> another topic I wanted to get information on: the need, or not, for
IDN.