[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: Report from the informal session on ICANN Strategy for Europe at ICANN 47, Durban

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Tue Aug 6 20:15:08 UTC 2013

Thanks for this, Olivier.

In defining a strategy for Europe, ICANN (and its community) should
avoid a mission creep. ICANN is in charge of "assigned names and
numbers" issues as they pertain to the Internet. Although other issues
like net neutrality, censorship, accessibility and such are equally
important, they are not within ICANN's remit if they are not directly
related to names and numbers.

Regarding privacy, I would be interested to know what is ICANN'
strategy. If it is to lobby the EU for a wide open WHOIS, as mandated by
the AoC, this may be an issue when engaging into partnerships with the
local community and authorities. ICANN should unambiguously state which
side they are on.

As to defining what is geographical Europe, I think we should stick to
the definition of the geographical regions in the ICANN context. As
imperfect as it may be, it is the one the ICANN community understands.
It is not  ideal, but introducing still another definition may confuse
things even more.

Patrick

--
*/Patrick Vande Walle/*