[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: Report from the informal session on ICANN Strategy for Europe at ICANN 47, Durban

Yrjö Länsipuro yrjo_lansipuro at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:30:54 UTC 2013

Dear all,
An attempt to formulate an ICANN strategy is a welcome but also an ambitious one. It should first of all reflect the variable geometry/geography of the continent itself, and should not be bogged down to the definition of "Europe". I was mystified by the list of 43 countries appended to the meeting document; it excluded four members of the "Europe of 47" or Council of Europe (Armenia, Ukraina, Russia, Turkey). For that matter, here is also an "Europe of 57", that of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) that includes Central Asia, among others.
Instead of trying to define an area where an "European" size would fit  all, we should try to create a set of variable strategies that would take in the account the very different situations from one end to the continent to the other, not forgetting  countries with the biggest difficulties.
My 2 (euro)cents
Best,
Yrjö