[EURO-Discuss] R: WG: Regional Advice requested. Association Dot. HIV 173 / Germany

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:05:45 UTC 2012

Bill,
You are raising an interesting point.
There are two parts in a registry: the policy manager and the operator.
My view is that the operator belongs to the registry constituency, while the
policy manager belongs to whatever constituency or group it would naturally
fit. However, this is not the current approach of ICANN, therefore we could
have such conflicts.
You do remember the discussions about the GNSO review. In that circumstance
I tried to explain my concept of stakeholder group as a system where we
could expand participation and widen the points of view and contributions. I
made the example of a company where the legal department could contribute to
the IP constituency, the research department to a possible technical
research constituency, the marketing department to the business
constituency, and so on, enriching the global contribution to the ICANN
policy making process.
If this approach is taken, there will be no problem in accepting the
application. Otherwise, we need to have the opinion of the General Counsel
about the potential conflict of interest.
Cheers,
Roberto