[EURO-Discuss] EURALO - ALAC demarche to ICANN

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Dec 7 03:28:38 UTC 2012

Dear all,

as discussed at out last monthly call and noted under action items, Yrjö drafted a letter to ICANN regarding visa problems some of our community members faced for the last Toronto meeting in October -- see below.

Your comments are welcome. Thanks and

kind regards,
Wolf

Yrjö Länsipuro wrote Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:49:
>Dear Wolf,
>You're right, I promised to draft the letter, and here it is:
>

>Dear ---
>As you might know, a number of people who intended to participate at the
ICANN meeting in Toronto experienced visa problems, and some of them missed the
meeting altogether. Of course, the granting of visas is the sovereign right of
the host country, and there is very little ICANN can do when such problems come
to light, typically very close to the meeting.
>However, ICANN should be a concerned  when  its essential structures and
the bylaws-mandated balance of their composition  are affected by visa
problems.  This is what happened in Toronto, when three of five ALAC-appointed
members of the 2013 Nominating Committee were not able to participate at the
committee's kick-off meeting.  They were from Sudan, representing Africa,
Moldova, representing Europe, and from Armenia, representing Asia and the
Pacific Islands.  A fourth NomCom member, a Kenyan representative of the gNSO
business community, barely made it, having received  his visa at the last
moment.
>ICANN's globalization and its endeavour to be inclusive and representative
of all regions of the world should not  be held hostage by the whims of visa
policies of the host countries and bureaucratic delays in their implementation.

>The ALAC respectfully suggests that in the future, as part of the selection
process of future meeting venues, ICANN sets as a condition that the potential
host organization presents a firm commitment of relevant immigration
authorities to facilitate the granting of visas to all  members of the NomCom
and other participants designated as essential by the ICANN.

>Best,
>Yrjö

EuroDIG Secretariat
http://www.eurodig.org/