[EURO-Discuss] R: Proposal procedure active- non-active ALSes

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:14:16 UTC 2012

+1, but with a further comment.
Since the beginning of ALAC, and even before, the issue has been how to
foster contribution to the policy-making process.
The ALSes have been seen as a way to have discussions on the local level,
and bring the issues to a regional level.
My personal opinion is that it is extremely likely that, if ALSes are not
engaged in the regional policy development process, most probably they are
not even discussing the issues locally. If this is the case, they are
completely useless for the ICANN policy development process, so there will
be no harm in cutting the dead branches.
On the other hand, there has been an extremely lively discussion, many years
ago, about individual contributions to policy development. My recollection
is that EURALO was going to open a process to allow individual membership,
in a form to be discussed. Where are we with this process? My worry is that,
while we give a formal status to possibly inactive structures, we put
psychological barreers to participation from individuals who could
potentially contribute.
Yes, I understand that I do have a potential conflict of interest, being an
individual not belonging to any ALS raising this point, but look at it from
a different point of view: I am a fan of *the power of contribution* rather
than *the power of voting* (some might remember my approach to the GNSO
review). And, ALS or not ALS, you can't stop me from expressing my opinion
anyway... ;>)
R.