[EURO-Discuss] ALAC comment on vertical integration (referred to in EURALO call of 28 June)

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Wed Jun 29 06:29:11 UTC 2011

Good morning:

Thankyou, Seth, but I was referring to the more recent consultation
posted by staff on 23 May, below.

My comments on this matter, which remain valid, are at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/vi-pdp-initial-report/pdfFZQIl7H2Er.pdf

Furthermore, I would submit that it is necessary for Registrars to act
neutrally among the available Registries, according to their
customers' interests.
At present, under:

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities-en.htm

we only have the following assurance <<Registrars may not make claims
that they can provide registrants with superior access to any relevant
TLD in comparison to other Registrars.>>
That is rather weak. If Registrars are allowed to own Registries, as
foreseen under the current policy - and the (flawed) ALAC position of
August 2010 - then I would submit that the necessary neutrality would
be threatened. Registrars would most likely promote their own
Registries in preference.

What is the proposed ALAC position on the current (May 2011)
consultation?

Regards,

CW