[EURO-Discuss] Discussion on the ICANN Strategic Plan

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Jan 8 09:56:47 CST 2010

Dear all,

first of all, let me wish all of you ALL THE BEST for the coming year!

To follow up on our EURALO teleconference in December, I would like to draw your attention to the discussion on the ICANN Strategic Plan 2010 – 2013. The Strategic Plan is an important public consultation as it will ultimately set ICANN’s long term goals and influence how its money is spent. I think, it is important for all regions to participate in this discussion.

Due to the seasonal circumstances and holidays I guess, I haven’t seen any discussion on the Strategic Plan on the EURALO lists. And I am not aware about discussions being held in other fora (ALAC or RALOs) ...

The public consultation on the Draft plan will close on January 21st ( http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#strat-plan-2010) and Staff will organize a community call on either January 14th or 15th to collect input from the regions and start working on the ALAC Statement on the Strategic Plan. There are several EURALO member who have participated in the Doodle survey for this call ( http://www.doodle.com/n7taeasf9tg4bxkn).

It is high time to reach out to our regional members now to help start a discussion on this issue and especially for those who plan on participating in the community call. Ideally, the EURALO representatives participating in the community call may submit a EURALO position that they can advocate during the call as this is a great opportunity to mark EURALO’s priorities.

As far as I can remember from our last/December call, Sébastien suggested the point or ambitious goal already "to have one ALS from each country in the respective RALO and region at least". May be there are other relevant points to be added to our regional position -- such as e. g. to get more involved in regional/European policy issues related to the Internet (on the EU and CoE level – as we did with the EuroDIG already) etc.

The minimum we need is a core group of those people or board members who indicated their participation at the community call next week already to work on this.

Thanks and kind regards,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87