[EURO-Discuss] [Fwd: Clarifications RegardingStaffSummary-Analysis of Stakeholder Group Charter Public Forum]

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Thu Sep 10 16:24:20 CDT 2009

Hi, Bill.

Sorry for not having answered before, but these last weeks have been quite
busy, with Board Review, GNSO improvement, SIC and Board meetings, and
several odds and ends. Incidentally, in all this activity there is something
that has been of direct interest to you, as part of ALAC, which is that the
Board Review WG and the SIC recommended to the Board the replacement of the
non-voting ALAC Liaison with a voting Director, and the Board ruled
accordingly.
Sure, the starting point from the ALAC Review WG was 2 voting Directors, but
considering the substantial opposition to have ALAC voting Directors I
believe it can be considered a first step in the good direction.

Now I have some time while on a looooong flight to LA, and will therefore
try to briefly comment.

On the ALAC Chair statement, I maintain my "no comment" position, I am on
the receiving end of the comments and not in a position to enter a debate
about them. To your question on whether it was understood that it was her
personal position, and not ALAC's position, may I confirm that the answer is
"Yes" (with the caveat that in all situations you might have somebody who
has misunderstood or who was distracted).

On the comments about the NCSG Charter, it was understood that all NCUC
members who have commented endorsed the NCUC proposal (which, incidentally,
is something that I would have expected anyway). The comments that were not
supportive came from other quarters (which, again, is no surprise).

Now, to what I consider the most important points, or at least the ones
where we do have a disagreement, let me concentrate on the "amend the
charter" vs. "reject the charter" issue. You wrote:

> Second, and at the risk of being a bit obvious, if you did
> not receive sufficient commentary on the implementation of
> the SIC's charter, this may be because all of NCUC (save
> CP80) and the other civil society stakeholders who've spoken
> (save the three people from ALAC) have supported the NCUC
> version and hence opposed the sort of narrowly
> constituency-centric model embodied in the SIC charter.  You
> knew that going in, it was made abundantly clear in the April
> public comment period and elsewhere.  So I don't understand
> why you would have been expecting guidance on the
> implementation of a charter we do not want to see
> implemented.

Because of what I have told you in my previous message, i.e. that we had
meetings in Sydney with the NCUC in which after long discussions we agreed
on a course of action that would be to accept the Charter, as it was
doubling the representation of the global non commercial community anyway,
and to come to an agreement on the names of the additional three
councillors. I would have expected an agreement between a delegation of the
NCUC, led by its Chair, and a delegation of the SIC, led by its Chair, to be
considered binding.
Having worked for several years in the Trade Unions, in different countries,
I have a model in mind that when a negotiation is done, and an agreement
reached, the negotiators go back to their constituencies, explain it, and
seek for endorsement. Which is what I did, explaining the situation to the
Board and seeking a decision by which we would have dismissed the petitions
from [some quarters of the] CSG to maintain the status quo of 3 NCSG
councillors only, and endorsed the 3+3 NCSG model. And this is what I would
have expected to happen on the other side as well. In the Trade Unions model
that I know, and in any negotiation model that I am familiar with, if the
negotiatior is unable to get his/her constituency's endorsement on the
agreement, he/she resigns.

>  BTW we did provide input on implementation of
> the CSG charter, not that it mattered either.

Quite the contrary, as the famous paragraph 4.2 in the CSG Charter was
deleted following the comment from Robin Gross.

> Again, in general, we have provided input on such items with
> respect to the charter text we support, not the one we do not
> want forced upon us.  On the specific matter of the three
> board appointments to the council (is this what you mean by
> jointly decided in Sydney?), after much discussion Robin sent
> you three names on 15 July and asked for guidance how to
> proceed with these.  Are you saying we lose the chance to
> influence this, and if so how?  Sorry, I'm missing some info here.

What is astonishing to me is that the NCUC goes from making an agreement, to
shooting that agreement with a comment campaign, and then goes back to the
agreement, but picking only one clause not the totality of it. When there is
a negotiation, there is a tradeoff, if one of the parties then goes back
after the fact and only picks the part that it considers favourable
complaining about the rest, it appears as an unreliable partner. And this is
exactly what has happened.

Please feel free to forward to NCUC, since I see they are in copy of your
message, as I do not have posting rights to that list.

Cheers,
Roberto