[EURO-Discuss] ALAC meeting with the Board, Sydney

Sébastien Bachollet sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr
Wed May 20 21:58:22 EDT 2009

Hi Adam and Wolf,
Thanks for your proposals - very useful to prepare the next meeting in
Sydney.
I am writing this mail in the plane from Paris to San Francisco during the
Euralo meeting I am not able to participate.
Maybe you already discuss some of those issues.

I would like to add the following points:

Now all the statement of the Summit are voted by ALAC and for all we need to
follow the work and help the WG to update the At-Large thinking.
One of them is the Future of ICANN. I summit to the WG and then to ALAC an
add-on position paper with comments on the last document issue by the PSC.
I guess it will be under ratification by ALAC shortly.
I would like to raise the question of future of ICANN with Board members -
what is the current thinking? - how they see the current discussion going on
in the ICANN arena? - And what about Viviane Reding's proposal? - The role
of At-Large to balance the one's of the governments and of the providers?...

Karl Auerbach wrote ..."ICANN is now hiring a new president on the basis of
he/she having run a $100,000,000 (US$) corporation.  That's $100,000,000!
There seems to be no sense within ICANN that money is to be spent wisely.
Rather there seems to exist a corporate lifestyle of lavish and unbridled
expenditure." If it is the reality, is it in agreement with the Board? And
How was the bottom-up process to do that?...

Thanks for reading

Sébastien Bachollet
Président d'honneur - Isoc France
sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr