[EURO-Discuss] Proposed Euralo statement on the gTLD Applicant's guide

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon Jan 26 10:18:40 EST 2009

Patrick Vande Walle ha scritto:
> Hi Annette,
>
> Thanks for your kind words.
>
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:38:18 +0100, Annette Muehlberg
> <Annette.Muehlberg at web.de> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure about the end of the fifth paragraph:
>>> We suggest that registries should be forced
>>> to use registrars only when their size goes beyond certain thresholds
>>> (e.g. 50k-100k domains).
>
> This was taken from one of Vittorio's comments. The rationale is that small
> community-based TLDs may find it difficult to have registrars carry their
> TLD, which does not generate a lot of income but still a lot of hassle for
> the registrar. In the end, if no registrar carries those small TLDs, this
> will effectively  kill them. I think it does make sense.

Also, that requirement may be a big problem for TLDs aimed at
communities in the developing world - if you look at the list of
ICANN-accredited registrars (
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html ) there are
entire continents where you can find only one or two, if any at all -
particularly Latin America and Africa. As a result, you may end up in
the absurd but possible situation in which you have a TLD for which
there is demand in certain communities, but since there is no accredited
registrar interested in that "market" or willing to make business in
those countries, you cannot find a registrar willing to sell the domains.
Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------