[EURO-Discuss] ALAC-WG on DNSSEC

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at thur.de
Mon Sep 1 03:39:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 08:01:35AM +0200, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
> There was some irony in my original sentence.

Sorry, my fault to miss this last night.

> Jokes aside, it is healthy to have another DNS resolver which does
> not use the Bind code and is under active development. I do use Unbound
> in production and as you may know, I have contributed some input for its
> binary packaging in Linux distributions.

Ack, that's the point.

> Until such tool is included as a standard feature in mainstream OSes
> and/or registrar web interfaces, I am afraid DNSSEC will not reach
> critical mass.

dnssec-signzone is included in the standard distributions. rollerd etc. too.

> This is where I think ALAC can help, it the sense it is well placed to
> talk to registrars to get it included in their range of off-the-shelf
> services. Ditto for IPv6 glue records.

Yes, ALAC can keep an eye on registry contracts to enforce DS and v6 glue in
the TLDs. AtLarge can produce a strong pressure to the registrars to offer
such services.