[EURO-Discuss] alac review

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed Jun 25 03:06:21 EDT 2008

Dominik Filipp wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I apologize for a bit manipulative wording

Dominik,

No offense.  I will not reply point by point, but just notice we
actually agree on a lot of things.

As for the user representation in ICANN, I am of course not satisfied
with the current situation. However, "civil society" type of arguments
are not going to convince the other parties involved. We need another
approach.

I think it would be much more convincing to point out that domain name
registrants, many of whom are natural persons or small businesses, are
not properly represented, yet contribute to a large part of the ICANN
budget through registrar and gTLD registry fees. This amounts to USD 40
million per year.

At the very least, we should expect that representation on the board is
proportional to the contribution to the budget, but this has been
confiscated by the intermediaries: registries and registrars. I note
that NomCom appointed members to the board are selected on their
personal capacity, not as representatives of the "paying majority".

Patrick