[EURO-Discuss] EURALO General Assembly at the 32nd International Public ICANN Paris Conference in Paris

Kleinwachter, Wolfgang wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Jun 19 17:19:27 EDT 2008

We should wait and see how the issue of individual membership is discussed on Saturdaqy. If there is consensus and if we have all ALS in the room, we certainly can decide. The socvereignty and decision making power is with the GA. It is good when the EURALO Baord discusses such issues, but if he failed and the GA has a consensus then we can also make a decision. If not we need more discussion both in the Baord and among the ALS.

As you know my position did not change sind 1998. Individuals are the core group of AL and need a voice and a vote in the whole ICANN process.

BTW, just FYI, the OECD Ministerial Meeting in Seoul here (I am still in Korea where we had an post OECD IG Symposium at the National Seoul University with Mangyong Koon and where we also discussed At Large issues) ist now dealing with the proposal to establish a Civil Society Advisory Council. ICANN (and WSIS/WGIG/IGF) can be certainly proud that it has inspired the OECD and paved the way for such a move which would have been unthinkable ten years ago when OECD had its last Internet related Ministerial meeting in Ottawa. But ICANN should remain a frontrunner and not let the dynamics go to other bodies.

Best regards and see you on Saturday

wolfgang