[EURO-Discuss] Project appeal + Date/Time for Tel. Conference

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Jan 14 15:42:53 EST 2008

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for this useful reboot, I look forward to discussing these ideas and
the others regarding policy work on the conference call.  One organizational
point in the meanwhile: You raise the idea of a board/summit OC meeting in
Geneva on Monday 25 Feb. before the IGF.  I was toying with the idea of
doing a different sort of IG-related workshop at the Graduate Institute on
that day, but could put that idea aside for now if there is sufficient
critical mass to do a board/OC meeting instead.  Barring an unusual
circumstance in which all the conference rooms are busy that day, I should
be able to host such a meeting with the requisite libations etc.  But before
I look into the logistics and budget it would be helpful to know whether
enough of us would be interested and able to attend.  If people could let me
know whether they'd be available that'd be helpful.

Thanks,

Bill

On 1/14/08 3:19 AM, "Wolf Ludwig" <wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net> wrote:

> Dear all,

first of all, I wish you all the best for the New Year! And the
> change of year is always a good opportunity to strike a balance on the
> precedent one: After an almost fulminate start and debate around the creation
> of EURALO our RALO and its list fall in agony at the second part of last year.
> There were some signs and expressions of frustration and it seems to be
> difficult to define and find a way out of this prevailing silence.

Thanks to
> Sébastien who took the initiative a week ago we have to make another effort
> now ­ to restart with a telephone conference at least. After a phone call I
> had with Sébastien, we both believe there is a unique chance for EURALO ahead
> that we cannot miss. Thanks to Sébastien and some RALO-friends from North
> America, there was this great idea and project of a User¹s Summit to be
> organised and held along the ICANN meeting this summer in Paris ­ as one of
> the outcomes of the LA meeting in autumn 07.

This project offers a real and
> unique chance for us to re-animate and revitalize our cause, commitments and
> legitimacy. Some of us (Sébastien, Wolfgang, Annette and I etc.) are supposed
> to participate at ICANN¹s next meeting in February in New Delhi having a
> chance to discuss and elaborate some more planning and organisational details
> there. What we do need is not much: Three to five people from EURALO (or even
> more), besides Sébastien, Annette and me, to take the initiative and to
> establish an EURALO organisational committee (OC) for the User¹s
> Summit.

Almost immediately after ICANN¹s New Delhi meeting there is another
> IGF-preparatory consultation meeting foreseen in Geneva (26 ­ 28 Feb. 08)
> offering an opportunity for some more of us (Jeanette, Bill, Karen) to meet in
> Geneva ­ as a combined board and OC meeting. Such a prep. meeting in Geneva,
> let¹s say on Monday 25 February, will be easy to organize there ­ and I will
> try to find some sponsoring money for it if needed. The main goal and outcome
> of it would be a concise draft of project for the User¹s Summit in summer.
> After such a prep. meeting we would have about four months to get the work
> done on a common EURALO project. And thereby we could hopefully revitalize and
> strengthen EURALO¹s capacities (-- otherwise I cannot imagine any other way
> out for EURALO¹s future).

Please let us know your ideas about this appeal
> and who is interested to work with Sébastien, Annette and me on this
> project.

According to Sébastien¹s Doodle-Survey the best date and time for
> our Phone Conference is
Thursday 17 January 2008 at 16h00 UTC (= 17h Paris
> time).
I would kindly like to ask Nick to care about the necessary
> arrangements for this Tel-Conf. next Thursday (Thanks!)

Best
> regards,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83
> 87
www.comunica-ch.net

http://blog.allmend.ch -
Digitale
> Allmend

EURO-Discuss mailing
EURO-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailm
> an/listinfo/euro-discuss_atlarge-lists.icann.org

Homepage for the region:
> http://www.euralo.org

William J. Drake
Director, Project on the Information