[EURO-Discuss] EURALO Delhi report 5

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Feb 15 01:14:11 EST 2008

Hi all,

Yesterday (Thursday) morning we had our last Public Forum what provided another opportunity for reporting back from different Workshops and to exchange opinions on various subjects (new gTLDs, GNSO improvements and protection of registrants), that were discussed during the 31st ICANN meeting. Reports presented included the ALAC, SSAC, RSSAC, NomCom and Ombudsman. The Board committees posted their reports Online for review.

Before the lunch brake there was the Signing Ceremony of the MoU between ICANN and the Organizations in the Asia Pacific Region accredited as At-Large structures (APRALO). Seven representatives from different ALSes across the region were present to co-sign the agreement and another three signed electronically. (See Nick’s Mailing conc. ICANN.org Announcement: Asia-Pacific Internet Users Big Part of ICANNs New Delhi Meeting). By this step the creation of RALOs in all parts of the world is now completed.  We are looking forward to further cooperations with our colleagues from APRALO!

In the afternoon we had our 2nd session of the At-Large Advisory Committee with an exchange of views on a number of topics with members of the GAC and Board. The importance of the co-existence of IPv4 and IPv6 was one and the discussion on the IDN fast-track another part of the discussion. Furthermore we worked on a formal, if possible, joint ALAC statement on the Joint Project Agreement (JPA) – see also our yesterday’s discussion on the list – and it seems there is a considerable agreement on the last draft version 2. Darlene Thompson told us this morning that there is “rough concensus“ from NARALO. There is a common understanding that the New Delhi meeting provided more and intense interaction between ALAC and other stakeholders at ICANN.

Now (Friday morning), I am sitting in the open Board meeting with a full agenda. Among the topics referring to ALAC the Board just passed a resolution on the At-Large Structure Summit by “unanimous approval”. This means, idea and project of organizing a User Summit was approved in principle and “within the (coming) fiscal year” 2008-09. During our 1st ALAC session here on Sunday we strongly voted for having this Summit happen “this year” – and as part of the subsequent ICANN meeting in Paris! You may imagine that there is some kind of frustration again among ALAC and RALO representatives. As far as I have heard the Summit is now supposed to happen probably in conjunction with ICANN’s 10th Anniversary?

As the EURALO representatives in Delhi (Annette, Desirée, Veronica, Sébastien and me) still believe that a User Summit in Paris would be a unique opportunity to strengthen EURALO and its outreach. Therefore we have to discuss this issue as a major point on our agenda for the foreseen EURALO board meeting end of February in Geneva (confirmation of date with draft agenda will follow today in a separate mail).
There are another 2 resolutions to be passed at today’s ICANN board meeting related to At-Large: (i) the Bylaw change for ALS Applications handling, and another (ii) the thanks of the Board to APRALO.

The Delhi meeting is almost over and everyone seems looking already forward to the next ICANN event in Paris in June this year. Some of us will stay in Delhi or India for some more days. I have to take my return flight to Geneva tonight.

Last and kindest greetings from Delhi,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87