[EURO-Discuss] [At-Large] [Fwd: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Proposed ALAC-statement regarding JPA]

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Feb 14 08:40:39 EST 2008

Jacqueline A.Morris ha scritto:
> Dear All,
> Please see the draft below of a proposed At Large statement on the JPA.
> Time is short - the deadline is tomorrow, but as much participation as
> possible is the At Large way, so please do what you can re comments.

As I already said on the EURALO list:

First of all, this is a delicate matter, with high political relevance,
and I do not think that the ALAC can release a statement at the very
last minute, without any kind of consultation with the ALSes. As it is
common in civil society and NGO circles, usually this kind of statements
are drafted in several online cycles, and in the end are opened for
subscriptions so that they must be explicitly undersigned.

Incidentally, my ALS already submitted a statement several days ago:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/jpacomments2007/jpacomment_028.pdf

and so of course we would not be able to sign on to a document that says
anything different.

So the first formulation of the last paragraph is unacceptable to us;
while I understand the concerns connected to accountability, I would be
astonished to see the ALAC push for the continuation of the US
Government control over these key resources of the Internet. It is
understandable that big American NGOs think that it is better to keep
the US Government into the loop so that they can use their leverage in
Washington to influence ICANN, but this is impossible for all the
non-American ALSes and not a viable proposal for them.

We would like to see a clear stance for the position that ICANN should
not be subject to the direct oversight of any government, or, only as a
second choice, all governments should have the same weight; and so the
JPA should be terminated as soon as possible. If this is unacceptable to
others, however, I find the alternate wording of the last paragraph
quite reasonable.

Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------