[EURO-Discuss] EURALO Delhi report:1

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Sun Feb 10 22:39:35 EST 2008

Hi all,

some of us arrived at ICANN’s 31st meeting starting tomorrow (Monday) in NewDelhi. Present in Delhi are: Annette, Veronica, Desirée, Sébastien, Wolf (we haven’t met Wolfgang so far). Having the opportunity to participate there I intend to send you a short summary from the conference every day.

Today we had an ICANN ALAC “One Day” Workshop (Agenda see: https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?10_february_2008 and documents https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?new_delhi_documents) with the following programme:

*Briefing /reporting on RALO’s and respective (un-)activities; there seems to be some common difficulties to get started and to contribute in a substantial way to ICANN issues so far.

*Briefing/reporting by Working Groups:
Whois
IDN
IPv6
(FRA?)
User’s Summit
Domain name tasting
Alan Greenberg presented a report on the WG (Domain name tasting) outcome showing that this is the only ALAC-WG so far which has already fulfilled its task.

*Presentation by Veronica on “What is an ALAC/At Large Working Group at ICANN?”

*Afterwards we discussed in 3 sub-groups on Whois, IDN and IPv6 and came up with 3 respective reports (I think Nick will put them on the ALAC-Wiki the next days).

*The last part of today’s Workshop programme was a presentation by Kieren McCarthy on Public Participation tools and objectives of ICANN “and how we can use these tools, contribute to future direction and benefit from use of these tools for our desired policy development outcomes”.
A complete report of today’s ALAC Workshop will be posted on Feb. 20.

For me it was a good introduction to the 31st ICANN meeting – and particularily having had a first opportunity to meet ALAC folks from different RALOs f2f and personally which is helpful for any discussion and participation. So far,

best regards from Delhi,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87