[EURO-Discuss] At-Large EURALO 2007 Election Results

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Tue May 22 06:40:38 EDT 2007

Kleinwächter wrote:
> Looking at the results I am also happy that at the end of the day the principle of geographical and cultural diversity is reflected in the final outcome. I am also satisfied that we have a good balance of different institutions in the EURALO Board.
> I would also invite Patrick, even if he was not elected, to give his energy and knowledge to the EURALO process.

Wolfgang,

I will certainly contribute to the ALAC review process, in the hope that
it can help make the whole thing work better. One of the issues is the
regions concept. It is too far way from the day-to-day realities. A good
proof of this is the sub-regionalisms that have emerged in the Euralo,
which you call geographic diversity. My take is that a new ALAC should
transcend this regional model. After all, you may well find that your
concerns are best represented by someone living on another continent.

As for the balance of institutions  in the Euralo board, I do not think
the goal of an election is to create a balance, but rather to identify
the majority. However, the votes clearly demonstrate that ISOC chapters
are not one monolithic super-ALS, like some suspected.  So much for the
conspiracy theory.

As to my contribution to ICANN in general, I will obviously continue and
partner with anyone with similar views at any given time, including Euralo.

Patrick