[EURO-Discuss] Voting procedure for ALAC seats

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Sat May 19 18:21:36 EDT 2007

True it is a view - one that is informed by 20 years of experience
working in international decision-making processes, so it is a rather
well-informed view.

Nobody can force anyone in the community to conform to operating in a
procedural framework that is viewed as good or best practice in
international relations. However, choosing to ignore what is
legitimating and pursuing something which has the opposite effect does
not, again in my experience, lead to a positive end. Nor, to be frank,
does it lead to a discussion which results in productive work being
done. It does tend to lead to quite the opposite situation.

As to what staff should or should not be doing - it is definitely the
role of staff in a secretariat to act as observers of processes and to
provide input on what options for good governance and decision-making
frameworks are available. It is the job of the community to implement,
or not, the advice. Like all advice, you are free to use it or not as
you wish.

I'm sure the German members of the EURALO will recall the excellent
maxim of Bismarck:

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others."

Something I've tried to keep firmly in mind throughout my life (not
always terribly successfully it must be said). My experience in this
area is pretty long - there are some others, like Roberto, who have
long experience as well. Hearing the benefit of my experience in these
areas will not hurt you, or anyone else here - whether you avail
yourself of it or not is up to you.

On 19/05/07, Thomas Roessler <roessler at does-not-exist.org> wrote:
> On 2007-05-19 22:42:43 +0100, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
>
> > My statement was a statement of fact, a reminder of good practice
> > in the conduct of elections.
>
> Your statement was one particular view as to how elections are to be
> conducted.  Others might disagree.
>
> Very frankly, I don't think you should be pushing this particular
> kind of discussion from the staffer's seat.
>
> --
> Thomas Roessler   <roessler at does-not-exist.org>

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart