[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] No voting on board seats

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri May 11 10:23:57 EDT 2007

See below

On 11/05/07, Annette Muehlberg <Annette.Muehlberg at web.de> wrote:
> All,
> the link has not been updated:

It has now - you have to understand that I do keep these things up but
if there are a few hours' delay in doing so I would hope to have a bit
of forbearance...

> Strong objections have been raised to the proposal of having only 7 board seats.

This has been reflected.

> The alternative proposal was to just take all nominees and let them form the board (10 in case Sebastian and Veronica are going to be ALAC members, 9 in case Patrick and Veronika are going to be ALAC members and 9 in case Sebastian and Patrick are going to be ALAC members) plus the non-voting ALAC members.

This is an alternative proposal. What I would suggest is that an
additional ballot item be added. The decision would then be based upon
the following selections:

5,7,9, all candidates

> We just state that for this period, depending on the outcome of the ALAC selection the board will either have 9 or 10 voting members.

That is a proposal of some ALSes but it is not a proposal of all
ALSes. What I have provided above would incorporate your proposal and
also that of others.

> Right after the selection/election of the ALAC members we could celebrate them and the Board too. No further election, hassle, email correspondence on this issue needed.

Again, avoiding elections isn't really democratic - rather the opposite.

I hope that all can find their way to accept the above proposal, which
incorporates your proposal, but also everyone elses.

> The current text on the website (link below) assumes, there is a ballot, it assumes certain number of seats... this has to be updated.

Again, we cannot simply erase the proposals of others. Everyone has a
voice here, and everyone's proposals need to be respected.

> This whole procedure is not transparent enough. The following can help: Any text on the website should be posted via email too.

Every update to that page has been posted by email, including the
immediately-previous posting.

> Best
> annette
>
> Quote from website
> "The actual ballot will work as follows:
> Each voter will rank, in order of preference, ALL the board nominees.
> The voting system will then produce a list, which incorporates the preferences expressed.
> The board members who will be elected are the top 'N' listed, from the top of the list on down. The Number 'N' shall be either:
> In the case that no objection is raised to the call's recommendation of seven (7) members: 7
> In the case that an objection is raised, then the number shall be that number from the selection above (5,7,9) which receives the most votes. "

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY