[EURO-Discuss] Legal situation with respect to ALAC candidatures

Stefan Hügel sh at fiff.de
Wed May 9 14:19:51 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

there is one remark, I would like to make.

Am 09.05.2007 um 08:20 schrieb Nick Ashton-Hart:

> 1) As you all know, the diversity requirements for all the officers
> was an important matter for many ALSes. They are also important to
> ICANN as a whole, else there would not be  a diversity element to
> the ICANN Bylaws in respect of ALAC members. As a consequence, it
> is strongly recommended that Ms. Cretu join an ALS which is
> different from any other ALAC member, or ALAC candidate in this
> election, as that would clearly enhance the diversity of the ALAC
> members if she were to be elected. It was clearly not the intent of
> the diversity provisions that one ALS should have two ALAC members
> as members; this would not be in keeping with the spirit of these
> provisions.

I fully agree that we should go for diversity - more, I'd like to
stress it. In my opinion, the candidature of Veronica Cretu does not
contradict diversity, but enhances it, as she represents groups not
represented by the other candidate for ALAC. The more formal aspect
of ALS-membership seems a less important point to me in this case.

I appreciate that the open questions to the candidature are clarified
now.

Best
Stefan

--
Stefan Hügel (sh at fiff.de)

FIfF - Forum InformatikerInnen für Frieden und gesellschaftliche
Verantwortung e.V.
Geschäftsstelle: Goetheplatz 4, D-28203 Bremen
Telefon +49 421 33659255 - Fax +49 421 33659256 - http://www.fiff.de
- fiff at fiff.de