[EURO-Discuss] Legal situation with respect to ALAC candidatures

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed May 9 03:20:30 EDT 2007

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> having been on ICANN'n nomcom twice, I can confirm that several board
> members didn't meet the requirements you find necessary for an ALAC
> seat. The nomcom has appointed people who were plain and simple
> newbies.  From what I know, nobody has ever complained about this fact.
How could we complain ? The decision process inside the Nomcom is so
secretive that the visibility of the community either on the process or
the criteria being used is inexistent. There is no possibility to
appeal, challenge the choices or vote on the slate of candidates. This
is a major issue that should be addressed by the Nomcom review. I think
complaints will surface.
> Now I wonder if the selection criteria for ALAC should be more
> rigorous than for the board and if so  why?
Certainly, we need a more transparent, less challengeable, process than
the Nomcom.

Patrick