[EURO-Discuss] Signing the MoUs

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Wed Mar 28 10:38:34 EDT 2007

On 28/03/07, Thomas Roessler <roessler at does-not-exist.org> wrote:

> On 2007-03-28 14:43:21 +0100, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
>
> > My thought, without prejudice to what the legal people might say,
> > is that ICANN doesn't really have a preference and the bylaws do
> > not provide for ICANN to have such a preference.
>
> I disagree with the latter; that's part of the questions that you've
> chosen to ignore for a while now.
>

> http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/euro-discuss_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2007-March/000159.html

I would characterise 'ignoring' as inaccurate, since I have previously
stated on two occasions the reason for the delay, which in any case is a
matter of hours. It is really unfortunate that you were not here; many of
the questions and concerns that you have could have been a part of the
discussions and dealt with alongside your colleagues.

I hope that you will decide to have enough faith and trust in the other
ALSes here to accept that they would not have concluded these arrangements
unless they were satisfied that the outcome resulting was worthwhile.

> My suggestion to everyone is that we agree the process you wish
> > to follow in respect of this element once we have all returned
> > home and had some time to get through the elections process and
> > address the question of incorporation - it would seem to me that
> > the question you raise here, and the question of incorporation,
> > are questions which naturally go together.
>
> > Does that seem sensible to you?
>
> The more I see of this process, the more I think that all that
> should be signed tomorrow is a set of very short letters of intent
> in which ICANN and the ALSes state that they:
>
> (a) intend that a European RALO be formed according to the
>     principles laid out in the draft materials coordinated
>
> (b) intend that a formal MoU be signed once EURALO is formed and the
>     question around individual user participation resolved
>
> You can still declare victory and hold a ceremony around that.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Thomas Roessler   <roessler at does-not-exist.org>

Regards,