[EURO-Discuss] the EURALO board

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sat Jun 23 20:33:18 EDT 2007

Wolf Ludwig ha scritto:
> After facing some problems with the EURALO-list, Jeanette and I
> would like to forward you the following announcement:
>
> Hi all,
>
> thanks to Jeanette for taking the initiative. I fully agree with the
> summary of our late discussions. Being aware about Jeanette's
> time constraints I personally would prefer the option of a co-chair.

Some preliminary reactions (just arrived in San Juan, very tired :) ).

I am fine with whatever person wants to be Chair, including you and
Jeanette, as long as this person can agree to some basic points.

It is clear that, unfortunately, there has been a sort of a split among
two groups of ALSes. Some people were a bit bitter after the elections -
that happens in all elections, and maybe has been overcome now, but I
think that we have to commit to work to be inclusive.

In other words, I would like that whoever wants to be Chair explicitly
commits to working by rough consensus, if not by full, and tries to
bridge this sort of divide that has emerge. Also, one main activity for
our next months should be outreach: we should increase diversity, bring
many new organizations in the EURALO, and become more representative and
thus more credible.

I would like to hear what you think about this, and hopefully your
commitment to this working programme and philosophy :-)

About the co-chair issue, I don't have a problem with it in practice,
but I am a bit concerned by the idea of starting to "bend" our Bylaws,
because that might lead to further controversies if we start to adapt
them in other ways. I would be happier if we could have just one person
formally elected as Chair, with the other sharing the work. Maybe we
could rotate after the first term ends.

Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------