[EURO-Discuss] Things to discuss

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Sat Jul 7 19:31:05 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I support Jeanette’s point for a vote to ensure sufficient support
for the chair as well as Vittorio
>to ask Nick to set up the voting system, as he did for
>the vote in May.
But we should avoid to loose too much time with procedure
discussions again. Therefore I agree with whatever solution which
is easy to handle and may find consensus on the list!

I would like to know more about the expectations in respect of the
role of the chair and the board. Do they have, as Patrick suggested, a
>coordinative function at this stage.
or an initializing role what, Patrick again,
>would require more investment in time
>and energy from the board members?

Regarding a working programme, I prefer the approach suggested
by Vittorio
>to ask all ALSes to suggest the three most important
>ICANN-related issues that they see, for example.
But with a short explaination why those suggested
issues are of prior relevance to them, as mentioned
by Jeanette.

Let’s combine it with Vittorio’s proposal that
>some of us should participate in the ALAC
>working groups on various issues, that are going
>to start working soon.

By such a procedure we could a come up with a list of
priority issues for EURALO and get an idea who isfollowing-up/
covering other issues of the ALAC working groups. A solid
working programme and a list of responsibilities among board
members could be established by this.

For considerations of principle and transparence I would prefer
„to conduct our business on this list“ than having a separate
board list.

Also according to my experiences, a face-to-face board meeting
could be more constructive and productive – at least in a start-up
period – than a phone conference (which is much cheaper, I agree,
but does neither asure availablity nor particpation of all board
members).

Of course, such a physical board meeting needs prior inputs,
consulations on working issues and priorities and a consolidated
agenda! But once we have a working programme and and a step-
by-step planning, phone conferences are very suitable for interim
coordination and consultaions.

The Studienkreis meeting in October would be a good opportunity
to be used as an outreach meeting for the At Large in Europe
-– even if it’s rather late! And I also hope that ICANN could support
the travel of the Board to Warsaw.

My first preference would be a meeting just before the IGF-
consultaions at the very beginning of September (Saturday
1.09.07) in Geneva. I am ready to organise it on a low budget
level if travel reimbursements could be arranged.

Best regards,
Wolf