[EURO-Discuss] Things to discuss

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Fri Jul 6 12:41:36 EDT 2007

As for what is the role of the Board, a good starting point could be the
approved Bylaws. ;>)
I am not sure to have the good version (I took this from the Wiki), but
please find below is what it says about the Board.
About the Board meeting, I was under the impression that Wolfgang had
proposed an EURALO meeting in conjunction with the Studienkreis. I assumed
that to be the GA (that according to the Bylaws has to take place before the
end of 2007), not the Board. Which means that, if the proposal is accepted,
the Board has to meet before (although it could well be in Warsaw just
before the GA).
Incidentally, I had 11-12 October as dates for the Studienkreis, not 10-11.
We might want to set exact dates, also because the Studienkreis web site
does not show yet a firm statement on the 2007 edition.
Just for curiosity, what prevents the Board from holding elections online
for the Chair, and then have the first meeting by teleconference, just to
start getting organized? There seems to be no objection to the
Chair/ViceChair proposal (although I personally would have preferred to see
a Chair and a Vice Chair coming from the two different areas of thought that
animated the discussion a while ago, just as a concrete sign of good
willingness to work together), so the matter might be solved quickly. Once a
Chair is seated, maybe things will start going.
Anyway, among the priorities we might put the definition of who on the Board
is on 1 year term, who on 2. I think that this is the very last item on
structure, then we can move to substance.

Cheers,
Roberto

============ extract from the Bylaws ===================

9 Board

9.1 The Board of The Association shall consist of at least five members. The
size of the Board may be expanded reviewed by the General Assembly as it
shall see fit. The GA elects at least one chair person and a treasurer. The
Board shall establish rules of procedure, which shall be generally available
and are subject to the review of the GA.

9.2 In order to enhance diversity of the Association as provided in Article
3.4, at least five members of the Board shall be:

9.2.1 nationals of different countries, and;

9.2.2 to the extent possible, from different regions of Europe, and;

9.2.3 to the extent possible, gender balance shall be sought.

9.3 The Board is responsible for all matters of The Association, as far as
they are not assigned to other Bodies of The Association. It is accountable
to the General Assembly for all its actions and decisions, without
limitation. The board is particularly responsible for the following matters:

9.3.1 Preparation of and convening of the General Assembly as well as
compilation of the draft agenda, where the General Assembly decides to
delegate either or both to the Board;

9.3.2 Implementation of the decisions of the General Assembly;

9.3.3 Compilation of the budget for the financial year for approval by the
General Assembly;

9.3.4 Within six (6) months of the end of the financial year of the
Association, the Board will approve or otherwise the accounts for the
preceding financial year, said accounts to be submitted to the relevant
governmental agencies if required, as well as the General Assembly;

9.3.5 Within six (6) months of the end of the financial year of the
Association, the Board shall submit a summary of the work of the Association
during the preceding year for review by the General Assembly;

9.3.6 Dealing with applications for Membership as provided in Article 4;

9.3.7 Removal or expulsion of members as provided in Article 4;

9.3.8 Hiring and dismissing of employees in a secretariat - except where
they are employed by a third party.

9.4 In any matters of special importance to the Association, the Board shall
ask the advisory council, where constituted, for a statement, and provide
the same to the General Assembly.

9.5 Election and period of office of the Board

9.5.1 The members of the Board shall be elected by the General Assembly for
a period of up to two years, such term beginning with the date of election,
renewable at the pleasure of the General Assembly, for not more than two
consecutive terms.

9.5.2 The first election after adoption of these Bylaws shall elect one-half
of the members of the Board for one year, and the other half for two years.

9.5.3 The Board remains in its position until successors are elected.

9.5.4 Any person may be elected to the Board, though nomination of
candidates for the Board is reserved to ALSes.

9.5.5 Where a member of the Board relinquishes his seat or becomes
ineligible to continue occupying his or her seat for any reason the board
shall appoint a successor and notify the the General Assembly by electronic
mail of the appointment, which is subject to review by the General Assembly.

9.6 Officers of the Board

9.6.1 The Chair of the Board, and a Vice-Chair, shall be elected by the
Board subsequent to the election of the Board, subject to 9.6.4, from
amongst those Board members willing to serve.

9.6.2 The Chair shall serve as the official representative of the
Association where such is required, or where the General Assembly so
designates.

9.6.3 The Chair shall act as the chair at all meetings of the Board. Where
the Chair is unavailable, the Vice-Chair shall preside.

9.6.4 The term of office of the Chair, and of the Vice-Chair, shall last for
two years from the date of their election.

9.6.5 The Board may create additional officer positions as may be required
from time to time.

9.7 Meetings and decisions of the Board

9.7.1 The Board shall conclude the business of the Association at meetings
of its members;

9.7.2 Meetings shall be convened by an invitation from the chairperson.
Where the chair is unable so to do, the Board may designate another member
of that body to invite the Board to meet.

9.7.3 Notification of a meeting shall be sent not less than two weeks in
advance.

9.7.4 Board meetings may take place in person, via telephone or
videoconference or via the Internet.

9.7.5 The Board shall form a quorum if two-thirds of the members of the
Board are present or participate via other means.

9.7.6 The Board passes resolutions by simple majority; where a tied vote
results the chairperson shall cast the deciding vote. Where the chair is
unable to attend the vice-chair shall cast the deciding vote.

9.7.7 The Board shall to the maximum extent possible operate via consensus.