[EURO-Discuss] Towards Lisbon: Draft EURALO Bylaws / MoU and Lisbon Meetings

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at spamcop.net
Mon Jan 29 11:21:19 EST 2007

Hello Europe!

As has been previously mentioned, the upcoming European ICANN International
meeting in Lisbon is approaching fast (March 26-30 -
http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon/).

ICANN would like to provide for the European ALS community to come to Lisbon
to finalise - at least - the Memorandum of Understanding between the
European ALS community and ICANN  and - ideally also - to conclude work on
the Bylaws of the RALO.

Whilst the Bylaws are in an advanced stage of work, there are still some
areas where consensus has not yet been reached. What I would like to suggest
to you as a plan of work is as follows:

We should have a teleconference of all ALSes in the next couple of weeks to
do the following:

1) Identify the remaining areas where work has to be done on the Bylaws;
2) Identify any areas with respect to the draft Memorandum of Understanding
which need further review.

The outcome of this teleconference will then give us the next steps with
respect to both documents, and we can work during the remaining several
weeks before Lisbon to further accelerate work, so that we can plan an
agenda for meetings in Lisbon which gives time not only to finish the work
on these documents but also to talk about the priorities of the EURALO in
the coming year, and to work on policies currently under discussion in ICANN
which the EURALO wishes to make representations about.

I have attached a draft MoU to this email; it can also be found by
navigating to www.euralo.org and choosing the RALO Organising Instruments
page from the main menu. All European ALSes should have an account to login
and edit the Wiki which is now the 'front page' of the euralo.org site (if
you don't please let us know so we can get you an account).

This draft incorporates the provisions of the Latin America and the
Caribbean Islands' MoU, already agreed with ICANN, as well as some
additional provisions from the current state of the Asia Pacific regional
MoU (in the final stages of negotiation between the community now), and it
allows for some of the specific needs identified by the European ALS
community in the current draft Bylaws, without prejduging the outcome of
some of the provisions in the Bylaws.

I hope that the draft is seen as useful and that it may prove to be a
document which is seen as largely acceptable - of course if the region
wishes to choose differently it is entirely up to you, as always.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY
United Kingdom
UK Tel: +44 (20) 8800-1011
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +44 (20) 7681-3135
mobile: +44 (7774) 932798
Win IM: ashtonhart at hotmail.com / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart at mac.com / Skype:
nashtonhart
Online Bio:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart

FESTIVE GREETINGS! As per usual, in lieu of cards for friends and
colleagues, I have made a donation in your name to Medecins Sans Frontieres,
to help them provide medical care to those much less fortunate than
ourselves.